I love you too

Clint woke up with the sun shining in his eyes, the slats from the blinds casting stripes of light across the room. James's steady breath was fanning his chest, his face hidden away in the crook of Clint's neck.

He didn't feel like getting up or waking his lover so instead he stayed there, happy and content with life as he drifted in and out of consciousness. the feeling of James next to him a constant reassurance that everything would be okay.

Clint woke again to James mumbling something into his neck, Clint could feel his lovers warm breath tickling his neck. James's eyes fluttered open and he made a soft noise and snuggled further - if possible - into Clint's chest.

'Good morning' James murmured into  Clint's neck, kissing His collarbone softly.

'Good morning to you too' came Clint's reply, carding his fingers through James's long, knotted hair, the gesture greatly appreciated.

'Do you think the team will wonder where we are?' James asked sleepily as Clint tucked his hand under his lovers face.

Clint would always be touching James, just a light reassuring hand on his shoulder or his hand lingering a few seconds longer usual on his lovers forearm before going out. small things that left james feeling like he had lightning bugs in his heart.

"I think so,' Clint mumbled as he kissed James's temple softly. 'Steve will come barging in at any moment'

James laughed at Clint's comment, a carefree laugh that a few months ago,  Clint thought he'd never here from someone so broken like James.

Less than a year ago he was a shell of what he used to be. he'd rarely ever sleep, living on a diet of caffeine and the occasional sandwich. But then things started to change, James reached out to get help and that had been the turning point.

'Hey,' James said, sitting up slightly and propping himself up with his elbow. 'I love you'

Clint smiled softly, wishing he could could stop time at that moment, where it was like they'd never experienced all the pain and sadness. The comfort of lying next to someone you love is indescribable. Limbs wrapped around each other.

'I love you too'