Chapter 5: Attempted Cannibal

Judging from the look on both their faces, I don't think the Elven Capital is somewhere I want to be

Judging from the look on both their faces, I don't think the Elven Capital is somewhere I want to be. "She's kind of a miserable person, so I say we leave her." The stares they give me let me know they are less than tickled by my suggestion. "I'm just kidding, obviously we're going to go get her." I look to Mordecai because I guess, as a warrior, his plan will be better than ours. "Tell us what to do General Grabby Hands! As long as you don't tell us to invade Russia in the winter, I'm down."

"Do you make sense when you talk on Earth, or is what you say always this confusing? Are you okay?"

"Well Cai," He cringes at the nickname, which means I'm going to continue using it. "I have just been unwillingly transported to a world that I don't have a clue how to navigate, which is how I'm supposed to save it by the way. I have no way to tell my mom I'm alright, the headache from my hangover never really had a chance to go away, I lost my shoes and phone, I don't have any clean underwear, I was accosted while I was naked by a man I don't know, and now I'm being hunted by a guard full of Santa's helpers!" I scream hysterically. "So, excuse me if I'm not okay right now!" His eyes are wide, and his mouth is hanging open. " You should close your mouth before Tinkerbell accidentally flies into it."

The damp ground welcomes me as I plop down with a groan. I'm feeling dangerously close to crying, and crying isn't something I enjoy. My arms wrap around my knees as I bring them up to my chest, hoping to find a place to rest my throbbing head. There's a plunk on the ground to my left and a flutter to my right.

In a voice laced with dainty sincerity, Mel says, "I'm sorry that you've had to go through this, but we greatly appreciate it. This is our home and we owe you a debt for agreeing to help."

"Uh, yeah. Thank you. Sorry for grabbing you when you were naked." I peek over at him and he looks bashful. I get the feeling he doesn't apologize often and is embarrassed.

"Just don't let it happen again." I look at them for a minute before realizing we're kind of screwed. "What are we going to do? We have to get her out. She may be unpleasant, but if she's making me do this because I'm 'part of the prophecy', a little jail time isn't an excuse for her to bail."

"We need a plan, but we also need sleep. We have supplies in the backpacks Mel and I hid behind the those trees." He points to the right of us. "There are a couple blankets and roll up mats. We can sleep here tonight and discuss what to do in the morning."

Mel and I bob our heads up and down. If I don't get sleep soon, I may start hallucinating and I don't want to know what kind of weird shit I'd hallucinate in a place like this. We follow Mordecai to the supplies and he hands each of us a blanket and bed roll. Luckily, the air is comfortable, because I get pissed when I'm hot and can't sleep, and it's not like I'm gonna sleep naked with Handsy Henry around.

After finding a flat spot amidst the trees, I unroll the bed mat and lay down. I peek at Mel and notice her already softly snoring. When I look to see if Cai has fallen asleep too, I'm surprised to see him sitting on a fallen log, staring at me.