Chapter 30: What if You Ask?

There isn't much that can be said to comfort Tink

There isn't much that can be said to comfort Tink. The tears lining her thick lashes make it obvious how distraught she is, but they have yet to fall. Apparently, her assault of Cai gave her a one way ticket on the guilt train. She should get off at the next stop, because he needs a good ass kicking every now and then to keep him humble. He's all up on his warrior high horse most of the time, hopefully this reminds him he's not hot shit.

"M-Mordecai , I'm so sorry. Agni was so concerned when she left, so when I heard her scream... I-I just assumed. She had told me to help if she screamed and I was overcome with worry. When I got here and saw you grabbing her and her yelling for you to stop, I just-" Her hands fling to her face as she shakes her head back and forth. I didn't think it was possible for Mel to seem any smaller than she already did, but somehow she's managed it.

Cai grimaces, whether that's from embarrassment or pain is anyone's guess. If he didn't have such a thick skull, I may have been worried about a concussion. "Don't worry about it Mel. I've gotten worse. Why don't you head back to camp and see how the horses are doing? They seem to be getting worn down."

"Is there anything I can bring you? Anything at all, I'll do it!"

"No Mel, I'm fine. Sorry to scare you, but that was pretty awesome."

"As long as you're fine, I guess I'll tend to the horses."

In an attempt to defuse the situation, I give Tink a hug. "Fine?! I'm great. If I had it my way you would have bonked him a little harder. Thanks for coming to my rescue! I can always count on you. Don't worry about numskull over here. He'll be fine."

Apparently my words accompanied by Cai's encouraging nod is enough to ease her mind enough to head back to camp.

Once she's out of the clearing, I turn to Cai and cross my arms. "That was a low blow buddy."

Amusement dances in his eyes. "There you go again with the terms of endearment. Did we have a break through Love-bug? Are we, dare I say, friends?"

If you looked at us from the outside in this moment, you might believe that we're friends. I become acutely aware of how close we are standing as electricity pulses between us. What fuels that electricity? Likely, disdain.

"Friends?" I scoff. "Maybe frenemies, but we are for sure not friends."

"How do I change that?"

As I crane my neck back so I can look into his eyes, the softness there causes me to take pause. How does he change that? Is friendship with Cai something that I'm interested in? Let's go over the pros and cons-

Pro, we're stuck together for 103 more days, so we might as well get along.

Con, if we're friends he'll probably talk to me more.

Pro, maybe he'll be less of an asshole during our lessons.

Con, he's an overconfident ass hole.