Chapter 19: This Isn't the Nutcracker

Cai has been following behind me, mumbling nonsense and stomping like a child

Cai has been following behind me, mumbling nonsense and stomping like a child. I didn't expect that he'd be the one opposed to following that thing, but he has been the only one protesting it. "It's dangerous Agni and you're not ready to follow this thing. You don't even know how to fight yet, so why in the world would you decide that this is something we should do?!"

"Cai, this whole prophecy thing is to save the gods or whatever. You all said that thing isn't a normal occurrence and that the only time you've seen it has been since the dreams. Obviously, it has something to do with this whole situation."

All of us are ignoring a worrying Cai, who is obviously losing his mind, as we arrive back to camp. He looks crazy, worse than he did before. There's panic in his eyes as he tries to explain to us why we shouldn't be doing this. As I'm rolling up my bed roll he grabs my arm and turns me to face him. "Please Agni. I really don't think this is a good idea. You could really get hurt. We have 115 days left and we need more time to prepare for this." His eyes are pleading with me and I sigh.

Alvina pipes up. "If you can give us a reason that isn't Agni getting hurt, I'll listen. Quite frankly, I don't really care about that reason and I want to get this over with."

"While I do care about Agni's safety, we were assigned a task by the gods and I think Agni can handle herself. Do you have another idea?" Madoc speaks gently, I think afraid to rattle Cai, which is likely also the reason for Tink's silence.

Thankful that we're giving him time to speak, he stops. "Okay, listen, our dreams don't talk about following the shadow. In fact, they talk about something completely opposite, a flame and the stars."

Turning to face him I try and speak. "But, Cai, we don't even-"

"Hear me out Ni. Conquer that which makes you weak by bringing together the five guardians of the flame. That's what yours was, right Mel?" She just nods in response. "And Alvina, yours was to summon the reader of the stars to guide your way and show that everything is not how it's perceived to be. Right?"

She scoffs, "Great job remembering things. Can we go now?"

"And Madoc, yours was to foster the flame so it may shine upon where the gods lie! None of these have to do with following a shadow. Agni, we're supposed to follow the stars, that's what Alvina's said."

Tink pipes up quietly. "When you put it that way, it doesn't make sense."

"He's right. It could be a trap." Madoc plops himself on a log and puts his head in his hands.

I haven't been convinced quite yet and want to know as much information as possible. When Cai turns to look at me, attempting to gauge my reaction, I look him in the eyes. "What's your prophecy? How do we know yours is about a flame or stars when you won't even tell us what it is? What if yours has to do with the smoke and you just don't want to tell us."