When the going gets tough. The tough do target practice.

Tony lay stiffly along the edge of the bed he found himself in that night. It'd been months now since he'd shared a bed with anyone in general but being stuck beside the super soldier, knowing what Steve thought of him, not great. Add in the fact that he was, apparently, a cuddler, he had zero intention of sleeping tonight.

"Tony, will you please calm down?" Steve huffed. "I can hear your brain going."

"I think I left my torch going," Tony mumbled the first thought that came to his mind.

Steve was certain if he rolled his eyes any harder he'd hurt himself, "Stark, your tower collapsed. I think your cutting torch is the least of your trouble."

"Pepper is going to kill me for that," he sighed. "Can't even get any signal out here."

Steve let him ramble for as long as he could take it and rolled to face him, "stark, what's your problem?"

"What do you suppose that thing was, Capsicle?"

"I don't know, alien, some sort of tech? I don't know. We'll figure it out, we always do," he sighed and threw one large arm across his eyes.

Tony gritted his teeth and shifted again, "should check on Addy."

Steve rolled his eyes, that actually was starting to give him a headache, and reached out to grasp his arm, "I get the impression Agent Romanov is not the type of person you wanna walk up on at night, Stark. Go to bed."

Tony stilled, for now. Steve could feel the suppressed energy coursing off him and he wasn't certain if he wanted to smother him with a pillow or grab him and force him to be still. It most certainly would not have been a cuddle thank you very much. "Stark I swear..."

"I'm sorry!" Tony squeaked. "I can't help it!"

The super soldier was suddenly on his feet with a snarl, yanking Tony along with him to the kitchen.

"You gonna make me some warm milk mom?"

"Do you ever shut up?!" Steve hissed as he pushed him down into one of the rickety chairs. "Yes. I am. And then you're going to sleep or I will tie you down, jam some earplugs in, and ignore you till morning!"

"Mm kinky," Tony muttered.

Steve started to roll his eyes again and caught himself, glaring at Tony, "it's no wonder people keep trying to kill you," he huffed under his breath as he heated milk with cinnamon, much as Natasha had for Addy when she was ill. "Drink and go to bed," he ordered.

This time it was Tony's turn to roll his eyes, "aye aye captain."

_____

Screaming, the sound of things breaking, buildings falling. It was deafening, causing the hearer to scream as well until their throat had gone hoarse and raw from the effort. It was too bright, it was always too bright but they couldn't recall when that had started, only being afraid, running. Not again, please not again.

"She failed," a voice snorted from outside her prison.

"I like to think of it as a test," another argued. "A test with very interesting results. Her powers are growing and, neutralized as she is, she is a formidable asset."

"If I were you I would hope the power never goes out," the first voice laughed as her arm began to burn and everything faded once more.

____

"Breathe, дорогой," Natasha whispered as she steadied Addy's hand, correcting her stance. "You do not put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire."

"And don't aim at anything you don't plan on shooting," Clint added.

The little girl nodded and sucked in a deep breath, steadying herself as instructed.

"Eyes on your target...calm...fire."

Addy pulled the trigger, her body bouncing backward into Natasha as expected, "I hit it!!"

"You did!" The woman grinned proudly and ruffled her hair.

"Does that mean I can help fight bad guys?"

"Uh, no," Tony snorted as he walked up and kissed the top of her head. "It means you can maybe defend yourself the next time some asshole comes after us."

"Steve! Tony said a bad language word!" Clint cackled.

Steve rolled his eyes where he was talking to Bruce and tried to ignore them. He'd finally accepted it wasn't tony but, beyond that, they weren't sure.

_____

Omg I'm still here 😱 le gasp! I'm sorry people I know this is short and I know you've waited ages. I sorta pulled back from mcu when I couldn't bear the thought of losing Tony. I still haven't watched end game lol I have it even pre ordered and I can't bring myself to watch. Oh well. I've finally got some budding ideas for this and *knock on wood* hopefully! I can get this story going again.