Ch. 57

"He had milky fur," said Weaselscar. "I would have easily clawed his eyes off but another huge she-cat came. Ugh." Weaselscar lay on one of the nests. His leg was twisted around and he had bad scratches on his snout. Heartpaw wondered if he'd ever be able to run properly. Apparently, they wouldn't know for some time so Weaselscar was being positive. 

            "I should be out tonight," said Goldenheart. 

            "Thanks for visiting," came a rushed voice. Lionbreeze trotted into the den. "But now leave. They must rest." 

             "Aw, we're just talking," grumbled Weaselscar. "Get's pretty boring here." Heartpaw took a step back. Lionbreeze didn't glance at him. Maybe it was better that way, Heartpaw didn't want to see Lionbreeze's eyes full of hatred. Lionbreeze turned to Heartpaw and narrowed his eyes. They were dark and unforgiving. 

             "Did you hear me?" Lionbreeze said. 

             "Yeah," mumbled Heartpaw. "Bye. I'll see you guys." 

            "Bye, thanks for coming over," Goldenheart smiled. Heartpaw slipped out of the den and joined Honeylight's side. She was eating a vole slowly. 

             "Can we share?" he asked. 

             "Ah, sorry, I told Dustbreeze, I was sharing with him," apologised Honeylight. Heartpaw nodded and trotted to the fresh-kill pile and took a small sparrow. He bit into it. It tasted stale and dry but he didn't care. His mind was reeling with thoughts he couldn't place. He sighed and slipped into the apprentice den. He crawled into his nest and listened to the silence. Finally, he found sleep. 

Grey skies. Rain. Wet grass. Heartpaw looked around. His fur was soaked but it was oddly refreshing. He looked around at the grey sky. Lightning lit up the whole sky for a split second. The grumbling of the sky continued as thunder crashed. Another cat appeared. A tortoiseshell. Birghtheart. Heartpaw's heart leaped. He stepped forward. He smiled through the rain and saw Brightheart beam back. She beckoned him to the safety of some bushes. 

               "Brightheart," he murmured. 

                "Dear son," she whispered. 

                "Are you alright?" asked Heartpaw. "Why is it raining? We're in Starclan right?"

                "Yes," replied Brightheart. "We are." 

               "But why is it raining? Is it a bad sign? Is something happening?" asked Heartpaw frowning. "Where is Stormpelt?"

                "It is raining," smiled Brightheart. "But whoever told you raining was a bad sign? Rain is beautiful. It feeds the trees, grass, flowers and feeds us water. It refreshes us. Frogs come out. Rain is a new start." 

               "Oh," Heartpaw replied. "Why am I here?"

                 "Oh Heartpaw, hard times are coming. For you and your Clan," she said. "But know, always, that I am are here. StarClan is here. No matter what Clan you're from." 

                 "Oh um thanks," replied Heartpaw. "I know. Why are you telling me this?"

                 "So you'll promise me you'll never doubt me," she said. "Ill be proud of you, no matter what." Heartpaw nodded. He gazed into his mother's beautiful eyes and wanted to stay with her, hearing the calming pitter patter of the rain forever. But she seemed to grow farther. Slowly, she seemed to be slipping away. He looked around panicky. But she was gone. Replacing her was just darkness.