Ch. 24

Heartkit awoke to Sandwing shuffling uncomfortably. 

              "Here," she said, pushing a poppy seed towards him. Heartkit gobbled it up quickly. "Are you feeling better now?" Heartkit shrugged. Lionpaw ducked into the nursery. He smiled broadly when he saw Heartkit. 

              "Hey," he beamed. "How are you doing?" 

              "Ok, said Heartkit. 

              "You need to eat, you know," said Lionpaw. "What would you like? I'll bring it in. But if you have enough energy, it'll be good for you to go out." Heartkit nodded and slowly got up to his feet. Sandwing sprung to her feet and brushed past Lionpaw. 

              "He's feeling better now so I'll go," she said and disappeared. Lionpaw frowned but led Heartkit out. The sunlight warmed Heartkit's pelt and gave him a warm tingling feeling. Cindertail spotted Heartkit and smiled. 

               "Hey Heartkit! Are you feeling better?" she asked. Heartkit shrugged. Lionpaw led him to the foodpile. 

               "Your pick," Lionpaw said. Heartkit took a small sparrow and he and Lionpaw trotted to the side to eat in the shade. Heartkit took in the fresh air outside and lay comfortably on the ground. He realised how much he hated being trapped in the dark nursery. There was no light and it was stuffy. He shivered at the thought of going back in alone. He took small bites of the food, unsure. But soon, he was eating quickly. Lionpaw smiled. 

                "Hey, don't eat too quick," Lionpaw said though he was happy to see Heartkit finally eating. 

                 "It's so good," mumbled Heartkit through mouthfuls. 

                 "You're going to be ok...," whispered Lionpaw.