f o u r

The bright lights flash in the dark night, illuminating the sky, the loud wailing screams of the sirens that pierced through the bustling streets of Birmingham. Blair rode in the back of the ambulance by the side of the gurney that Rye's lifeless lay upon. He had tears in his eyes, threatening to spill over.

While the ambulance drove quickly towards the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, the remaining boys of Roadtrip were being driven there by Darren. As Darren drove, Mikey was sat in the back, on a call with Rye's parents, informing them of the situation. He had been Rye's best friend for a long time, so he was the only one with Rye's mum and dad's phone numbers- they even knew about what happened with Mikey's mum.

"We'll be there as soon as possible." Rye's mum said, her voice shaky, followed by a sob. Mikey scrunched his eyes tightly shut, hanging up the phone without bidding the middle aged woman he loved like a second mother goodbye. He buried his face in to his hands, not wanting to cry.

After ten minutes of totally reckless driving, Darren arrived at the hospital and pulled up in front of the doors. "You boys go ahead and find Blair, I'll park the van and then be in." He said as the boys jumped out of the van and bolted through the automatic sliding doors of Queen Elizabeth Hospital. They ran up to the front desk, urgent looks on their faces, taking the receptionist by surprise.

"Hello how may I he-" she began, a tired smile on her face

"Ryan Beaumont." She blinked in confusion. "We're here to see Ryan Beaumont." She nodded and began typing on her computer keyboard.

"He's just gone into surgery, he'll be there for a while, but you can sit in the waiting room?" The boys nodded, quietly thanking her before turning around and looking towards the waiting area.

There were only three people there; a young couple holding hands and Blair. The boys made their ways over to Blair, taking a seat in the row of white chairs lined up against the wall. None of them said anything to each other, just sat there in silence.

It was a few hours later and Roadtrip, Blair, and Darren were all still in the waiting area of Queen Elizabeth's Hospital. Blair and Darren were in the canteen, buying a coffee each, and one for Mikey, so they could stay awake for as long as possible.

Jack was fast asleep, his head laid on Brooklyn's thighs, his body stretched out and led across multiple chairs. Brooklyn was also passed out, his head resting against the pale blue wall behind him, his mouth dropped slightly open. He had one arm hanging limply by the side of the chair, the other hand placed on Jack's hip as he led on his side.

Mikey was wide awake, his hands under his thighs. He felt heavy. His stomach hurt, his head was throbbing. Tears were collected in his eyes.

Andy was asleep, like Jack and Brooklyn were. He was resting his head on Mikey's shoulder, who sat there motionless and terrified for his best friends life.

The doors slid open again, Rye's parents and older brother ran in, distressed looks on their faces. Rye's mother, Amalie, was crying her eyes out while Rye's dad, Kevin, held her hand tightly in his, trying to keep himself calm and collected for his wife's sake.

Mikey's eyes snapped up as he heard the doors opening. Mikey gently moved Andy's head off his shoulder, repositioning him so he was sat with his head back against the wall. Mikey jumped up from the chair and speed walked over to Amalie, collapsing into her arms, sobbing into her shoulder. After hugging Amalie, Mikey was hugged by Kevin before he turned to Robbie.