Chapter 6

Jolie lay awake with her eyes wide open. She was still in her dark, basement cell. They'd put a much more comfortable bed, a ragged rug, and a tiny area to keep her food and do some minimal cooking. She had been back for about two days now and hadn't slept a wink.

Darkness still lingered in the chaos of her soul, blending in with the madness that filled her mind.

She could get visits from Evander and Flint every day. Synyc had to check in on her and he always brought Corr, the doctor that saved her, along to do daily tests. She trusted Corr for some reason.

Suddenly she heard the sound of footsteps walking across the echoing room just outside her cell. The layer of privacy wall slide away and revealed a tall, stalky woman. Jolie saw her jacket was more decorated than anyone she'd seen so far, despite the fact that that's not very many people, so she assumed she was important. Yet she still didn't move. She recognized here from somewhere but couldn't place it.

"Jolie Peregrine, is it?" She asked with a calm, confident tone. She could definitely walk into any room and take charge. Jolie was sure of it.

"Yep. Who's asking?" She replied flatly.

"I don't have time for your smart-ass remarks because I'm undoing all the damage that you did. So don't sit there and fool around. You're on thin enough ice as it is," she replied so sternly it practically shook Jolie to her core.

"I'm sorry but I'm just too tired for any tests right now. I-"

"You aren't in any position to make excuses! Now, stand up and come with me or else you may regret your tone."

In in instant Jolie felt a sudden, sharp pain in her head. She sat up and leaned forward, cradling it in her hands, and winced. Soon she heard the ringing in her ears. This was all too familiar. It was the same Force Pains she used to get from using her extra power when she was a kid.

She groaned in pain and that groan quickly turned bursts of screaming. She could barely hear the muffled sounds of the woman calling something into a comm-link.

Then in an instant, Jolie's world went dark.

She was in a dark, industrial, high tech room. She had handcuffs on that were connected to the cold floor by a force field of sorts.

"Hey! Did you hear me?!"

She looked up with weary eyes and saw a tall officer in uniform. Their shoulders were square and pointy with a hat that covered the eyebrows. The look on their face was pure anger.
Hated.
Desperation.

"I said, did. You. Hear. Me!" They repeated again, this time holding a remote with a couple of controls and levers.

She couldn't find the words to respond. Her throat killed and she tried to speak, but her voice was too hoarse to make a noise. Maybe it was from the screaming.

"Fine. You know the drill. You'll break eventually."

The officer pushed the button and an intense electric pulse radiated through her entire body. It was a wave of pain she'd never experienced before. It didn't even match the pain of the Force Pains.

She broke.

She gave in.

She did as she was asked.