Chapter 25: What Did He Do?

I go home and Katy is very, very happy. Happiest I've seen her in a long time.

"Katy, why are you so happy?" I ask. She looks over at me, confused. "I mean, it's great you're happy and all, but what's making you so happy?"

She smiles, "Devon,"

"I should've known," I roll my eyes. "Are you guys serious or are you just, dating?"

"I don't know, I would like it to be serious, I don't know if it's serious though, you know?" she asks.

"Yea, I get it. When Jesse and I first started dating I didn't know if it would be serious,"

She nods. "I don't know, I don't know how committed he is, I don't know what he wants to come out of this relationship and I don't want to make the same mistakes I did with Sam-"

"You didn't make any mistakes with Sam, he is the one that decided to cheat on you and if you didn't find out you would've married him and he would've continued to date her behind your back." she nods. "So you didn't do anything to mess up that relationship."

"I know, but I just wanna know why Devon and I are dating. Is it gonna actually be something in the future? What do you think Lilly?"

What do I think? I don't know. Katy still has plenty of time to get married, she's only twenty four and she's pretty and smart, and funny, and a good cook which guys seem to love.

"Well, Devon and you seem to really like each other, and maybe he's just taking it slow," I say. "Maybe he's not rushing things,"

"Lilly," Katy says. "I don't know about him not rushing,"

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Devon told me he loves me,"

"What?! When did this happen?!" I ask.

"When Jesse's car broke down and you were with him..." she says.

"Ugh! Katy! You are supposed to tell me these things-"

"You do know you're my niece not my sister, right? I don't have to tell you anything,"

"Yes but I tell you everything,"

"Okay, fine. I'll tell you things from now on,"

"Thank you, so what did you say?"

"I didn't know what to say, I don't know if I love him, I think I do. But I remembered when Sam told me he loved me, and then I just kissed him because I didn't see any other options." She explains.

"Okay, but you need to make up your mind and decide if you feel the same way, and you need to forget about Sam." I tell her.

"How is it that you're sixteen but know more about relationships than me?" She asks.

I laugh a little and shrug.

"How are things going with Jesse, though?" She asks.

"Perfect, we're happy as can be, I think we're gonna be together a long time."

"I hope you are, you both seem very happy with each other." She says. I nod. "Come on, we never hang out let's go to Starbucks or something."

"Okay,"

We walk to Starbucks and sit outside. We talk and drink our iced coffees. Katy is so much more than an aunt, or even a legal guardian. She's like my sister. She could be my sister, we look somewhat alike other than height and hair color.

"Thanks for everything Katy," I end up saying after awhile.

"What do you mean everything?" She asks.

"You took me in, Katy. You had your entire life ahead of you, you had a busy life with school and Sam, everything. But you took me in without complaints and I could never thank you enough for it." I explain.

She gives me a hug, "You don't have to thank me for loving you, Lilly."

"I know, but it was really selfless of you,"

"I knew I would be the best person to take care of you, I knew that's what your parents would decide, and I needed to do what they would've wanted. It would've been wrong if I let anyone else adopt you. You deserved someone that's known you your whole life, not some random relative you've never spoken to."

I nod, "I still am thankful, because I couldn't imagine any other life than one with you."

"I love you Lilly."

"Love you, Katy."

What would I do if Katy hadn't taken me in? Would I end up living with some relative that knows nothing about me? I'm sure I wouldn't move back home. But I'm thankful for every decision Katy has made since I've been with her.

We walk home, there's an ambulance there, in front of Jesse's house. But Jesse isn't hurt. Neither is his family. Jesse has blood on his hands, that are clenched into fists by his sides. There's also a cop car, that they're putting Jesse in.

What did he do?

I run over, before Katy can object.

"What are you doing? What's going on?" I ask.

"Lilly, go home, it'll be okay," Jesse says.

"What happened?" I ask.

"He assaulted Max, who came to his house," The officer says. "The two started fighting and Max was the one who was brutually injured."

"How much for the bail?"

"Lilly, no you're not paying for my bail. No one is, just, wait for me to come out, okay?"

I ignore him. "How much for the bail?"

"It's gonna be in the high hundreds, I'm sure the officers at the station know the exact price."

I nod.

"Lilly, listen to me, you're not paying my bail, I'll only be there a few months-"

"Jesse, I'm not gonna wait that long to see you again."

And then the officer closes the door, and drives to the station.