Born from dreams

Once upon a time there was a man, a wandering soul

Lost in the realm of our kingdom

They say he was a king who fought a great war

When the dragons came into our kingdom and burnt everyone with a roar.

Once upon a time there was a kingdom, a beautiful one

Surrounded in darkness of an ancient war

They say there was a king, this wandering soul

Who's cursed by a demon, forever, to watch his own realm rise and fall.

-.-

The entrancing voice of Eilin resounded around the rolling hills of the Shire making several neighbouring hobbits that were taking care of their gardens stop and listen mesmerised. She continued humming and repeating the verses as she picked up some hyacinths that Bella had planted on the field in front of mister Bilbo's house. Their blooming meant the coming of spring and Eilin couldn't wait for it. She had enough of the winter storms up north. It was the deeply serene voice of Gandalf that made her look up.

"You seem to be singing about a King we both know well." He sat down near her.

She stopped her singing to the dismay of her audience who raised their hands in the air with a disappointed exclamation. "Of course I am." She smiled.

Gandalf reciprocated. "You look so much better. Refreshed and well rested, but above all luminous."

"Luminous?" her lips twisted playfully.

"You are shining from within." Gandalf rejoined.

She picked up the last flower and placed it carefully in her basket. Then her eyes lifted at the bright blue sky that was bereft of any sign of darkness. "How can I not be? Look at this beautiful weather. It reminds me of springtime, not the middle of the winter."

Gandalf looked at his pipe and winced. "The Shire has mild weather all year round. After that insistent rainfall the scent of nature and it's colours feel so vibrant. I cannot get enough of this place."

"Me neither," she agreed wholeheartedly.

Gandalf allowed her a few moments of happy recollection before he spoke again. "I have a feeling that the cause of your happiness is not due to the weather, but because of the King that your song was talking about."

She huffed and caressed her cheek. "You are right."

Gandalf nodded thoughtfully. "Everybody is already assuming by your countenance that he managed to right his wrongs."

She bit her lower lip, but remained silent.

"I say assuming, because you don't talk and of course no one is able to talk to him in order to learn any details either. Both west and north await news from him impatiently and the man has been sleeping for seven days straight!" Gandalf chuckled, but only partly amused.

"I cannot wake him up. He cracks his eyes open just to make sure I am there, or have a sip of water and then goes under again. It feels like he's hibernating, stupid as it sounds." She winced and cleared some long locks that were floating in front of her eyes.

"I think that is exactly what he is doing. I don't think Thorin Oakenshield has ever had the opportunity to have such a carefree rest in years. Only now did the two century old tempest inside him abate enough to allow him to slow down. I think all this was your doing."