CHAPTER TEN

" Why didn't you wake me up last night?" Lisa growled from where she leaned on Jennie's bedroom door frame.

Jennie squinted against the sunlight streaming in from the curtains pulled back from her bedroom windows to her right, she had no doubt that it was Lisa's fault that they were open as they were now.

She always closed the curtains at night before going to bed to prevent the situation she was in right now: woken up abruptly by the blinding light. She rubbed her eyes and sat up, not the least bit conscious about her bed hair.

" What's gotten you so wound up this early?" Jennie asked irritated.

Mostly because she had no classes today so being shaken awake at – she looked at the clock on her bedside table to the left – 7:17 in the morning was not a welcome incident. Lisa shook her head and crossed her arms.

" I fell asleep on your couch last night while working on my paper works for next week, and you never bothered to wake me up to go home." Lisa said apparently as irritated as Jennie was.

She raised an eyebrow and examined Lisa. The latter looked freshly showered, and she was wearing a clean school uniform her bag already slung on her shoulders.

" It looks to me like you're just about to go and head to school. I have no idea why you're so worked up over nothing. You can still make it to your classes. The only person to blame here in case you arrive late, is you, for staying long enough just to nagged me first thing in the morning." Jennie said indignantly.

It was true. Lisa could've easily slipped out this morning and told her off later in the afternoon. But in the three weeks with Lisa had proven to Jennie that Lisa had some defiance in her, a need to stand up for herself.

And in this situation, she was doing just that right now. Lisa being a stubborn kid. Lisa sighed, her shoulders slackening from their earlier tense posture. She looked at Jennie with wary eyes.

" Just because I always come prepared with a fresh set of clothes doesn't mean I appreciate the fact that I was not given a choice in whether I wanted to stay over for night or not" She explained. Jennie shook her head.

" I was just being helpful. I've seen how tired you've been for the past days and seeing you sleeping like that, peaceful and totally knocked out, I couldn't bring myself to rouse you up and make you take the long drive home" Jennie said, some of her exasperation is still evident in her tone.

Lisa lived a good thirty minutes drive from her place. Despite that not being as far as it sound, when you were as tired as she'd been, it was still a long dive. Lisa bit her lip.

" I would still appreciate it, if you would give me the chance to choose whether I want to drive home or not, and not just have my choice be dictated by you" Lisa said.

The moment the words left her mouth, she knew she'd said something really wrong. Jennie's seething expression and raised eyebrow told her as much.

" Well, excuse me for appearing to be a dictator for you" The latter said testily. Lisa sighed and..

" Babe..." She said, trailing off as she realized what she'd just called Jennie. The latter's eyebrow went up a lot higher.

" Babe? Since when did you have a term of endearment for me? Is that your way of trying to soften me up? Charm me with a nickname to make me feel bad and apologize for something I did that appears wrong to you but is, in my opinion, an act of support?" Jennie asked, shaking her head.

" It's not like that, Jennie..." Jennie cut her off

" Then what is it? Why call me 'babe' then?" Jennie asked. Despite her irritation, she was actually curious about Lisa's intentions for calling her such a name.