Chapter 18

*Fourteen Years Earlier*

“Ewwww!” I yelled. I shielded my eyes with my hand. Michael and I were at the park, and we had just seen a couple kissing. “That’s so gross!” I squealed.

“It’s not gross, Averi.” Michael said matter of factly.

“Yes it is, Mikey!” I retorted.

“No, Averi! It means they love each other!” Michael said with a huff.

I shook my head at him. “No. Cause I love you, but I ain’t kissin’ you.” I told him.

“That’s cause we are still little Averi. Someday, when we are big you will kiss me.” He said with a big grin.

I looked at him in surprise. “I will?” I asked.

“Yeah! Cause you love me!” He said still smiling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been a good week since Jo had come back. All of us had been leaving her and Luke alone to reunite. We were pretty sure it was going well.

Right now, I was sitting at a table waiting as Michael got us some frozen yogurt. It was a cute little place called ‘The Frozen Penguin.’ I don’t know how I frozen yogurt place had anything to do with penguins, but that was the name of it anyways. Michael and I had gotten pretty close again over the last week. Our little trip to find Jo had really helped out our relationship. As of right now, we were still “just friends,” but I had high hopes for the future to become more than that.

“Here ya go Ave,” Michael said as he sat down across from me. “Brownie batter Fro-Yo for you, and strawberry for me.” He said as he passed me my bowl.

“Thank you Mikey.” I said with a smile.

We casually talked as we ate our yogurt, and once we had finished we stood up to go but our empty Styrofoam bowls into the trash can. Michael held the door for me to walk through, but I quickly stopped at the sight in front of me. Not a yard away, I saw Calum and Lana. Kissing. Each other.

“Wait, what!?” I yelled.

They jumped apart at the sound of my voice, and guiltily looked my way. I heard Michael chuckling softly behind me.

“I totally called that, Cal.” He said over my head. “And you tried denying it! Have anything to say for yourself?” He asked teasingly.

“Uhh…” Calum mumbled turning a shade of pink. “So…me and Lana are kinda dating…surprise?”

“Oh my gosh!! This is fantastic!” I screamed. I ran over to Lana, and hugged her tightly. “I can’t believe you never told me!”

She giggled a little bit. “Sorry Averi, we just didn’t know what you guys would think about it. So we decided to keep it on the down-low for now. I guess that’s over, isn’t it?”

“This is fantastic!” I replied.

“I’m glad you think so Averi.” She said with a smile. “Anyways, Cal and I were just going to get some Fro-Yo. We will see you two later?”

“Definitely!” I said smiling back.

They walked away together holding hands, and I smiled happily. How had I not noticed before? They were literally the perfect couple!

“Hey, Ave. Let’s hang out tonight…at the treehouse.” Michael said interrupting my thoughts.

“The treehouse?” I asked. We hadn’t hung out at our treehouse since that fateful night when I had made a very terrible wish.