Chapter 2 - The Interaction

Three years. Gauri still couldn't remove the man from her mind. No matter what. She tried so many ways of not thinking about him. But he remained somewhere in her memory. A year after the conference he had graduated. Gauri had bunked classes to see the graduation ceremony. He looked handsome as usual. With a heavy heart she had seen him take pictures with so many people. He would be gone. Not that if he was here she'd have the guts to go and talk to him.

Three years. She had graduated and was now sitting in the office of the same law firm that Omkara Singh Oberoi  had established. She couldn't forget him. She didn't want to spend her whole life regretting that she never tried. She would try. It was never too late. If he was the one, it would work out between them. But how? She had no clue.

All she knew was if she felt strongly about him then surely there was something. She would chase it. If she caught it, her life would be a fairy-tale. If not, she will live her life without regrets at least. 

She bit her lip anxiously. Her fingers were crossed. She really wanted to make it through. But the moment she entered. A wave of relief ran through her. She'd expected Omkara to be present among the recruiting company. But the moment she saw he wasn't, her confidence shot up. She was asked many questions particularly why she was applying for this job while she could get a better job with her qualification. She made it up, she had expected this question. She had literally memorised this answer. She went on and on telling about law in India and how their law firm was making a difference. She had done her homework pretty well. 

They told her on spot that she was shortlisted and final call would come to her by the evening. Gauri now left it to destiny. 

Destiny was in favor.

* * * 

( Gauri's POV )

It was the first day and I had worn a simple formal saree. Skirts weren't my thing. I thought I looked funny in formal pants. So saree it was. A simple saree with simple sleeves blouse and minimal make up. Of course that black bindi on my forehead. 

After a brief introduction I was introduced to the team. It comprised of one civil lawyer, advocate, arbitrator, and a criminal lawyer. Above them was Barrister Jaspreet and his senior was none other than Omkara Singh Oberoi. The receptionist led me to a room. I almost froze when I heard that I was supposed to work under Omkara Singh Oberoi. I began coughing. She quickly gave me some water. "You okay?" I nodded. Luck was on my side perhaps or perhaps not? I couldn't decide.

"Two secretaries were selected one for Jaspreet Sir and other for Omkara Sir. You've been shortlisted to work directly under Omkara Sir. " she said sweetly.

I blinked. I never expected this. I did not even have a degree in law, wouldn't he prefer a secretary who knew law?  I was led to his cabin and was asked to wait outside till he arrived. The receptionist whose name was Aalia left me there. I sat on the couch outside his cabin breathing deeply. This wasn't anticipated, considering the big shot he was. I wanted to runaway now. No, I had come till here now no looking back, I told myself.