Chapter Thirty-Five - Reckoning

GREEN

Four hours. She had been gone four hours and at this point any of us would be lucky if she was still alive.

Heat had found nothing. I had found nothing and I'd tried everything I could think of. Every single thing. She was nowhere, she was a fucking ghost for all the clues we had.

We were sitting ducks, just waiting around in a house in the mountains that was owned by technically no one but actually us.

Catcher had long ago blown. He'd popped like a fucking fuse and burned out, going outside to wreak a kind of havoc I never wanted unleashed on me. Shift was checking in whilst sitting on her room, making sure the one thing I or anyone could control was still safe.

Pile had been cut loose but looking at him over the past hour I was thinking that maybe we needed to get him back on that chair. Luke was on the floor now, head bent and hands in his hair. Tank was on the couch, looking still and mindful but I knew he was bursting at the seams just like us. Rilo was outside, sitting with Catcher who had burned out and crashed.

And I was standing here, helpless.

We couldn't trust anyone. No fucking one.

We didn't know as much as I'd thought we knew and it was on me. I should have seen it, should have known I didn't have all the information I needed. I was the man for that job, and I'd fallen down on it. Now, my Baby Girl was somewhere unknown and I had no idea what had been done to her, if she was still breathing.

I was close to blowing too. The only reason I hadn't yet was because I had focus, I had drive not to. Catcher needed to blow, to release because this was his family, his woman and the mother of his daughter. I needed to stay cool, collected, because he couldn't be that.

I didn't have much more fight to give.

Day would break any moment now and she was still nowhere. By now, if he took her out of state, she could be over an ocean heading out of country and we'd never see her again.

Stark hadn't called again. That in itself spoke of his betrayal. It made me sick to think about it, to know there was a man we could get a hold of and try to get information out of but it was the man we all had considered our friend, brother, father.

My phone suddenly started ringing and the men in the room moved to stand, eyes on me.

The number was unknown and a ball of ice started forming in my gut.

"Talk," I answered because I didn't have patience anymore. I was surprised I even had skin because of how hot I'd been burning for the last four hours.

"Devin, I got a lock on her, off radar. Apartment building on Grover, under construction to be turned into a hotel. Third floor, sixth door on the right. I'm thinking twenty inside, maybe more."

Breath rushed out of me and the men closed in on me. "You?" I asked.

"Need to get the fuck out of here and back on radar before I get canned. I'll send units there in thirty, you go and you go fast, try to be clean."

Before I could answer he disconnected and I lowered the phone.

"What?" Pile asked and got in my face.

"Grover, apartment building under construction, third floor, sixth door on the right. Ride."

**

Catcher rode point because that was his place but also because we couldn't catch up to him. He skidded to a halt on the tarmac of the parking lot and just dropped his bike without care, smashing a mirror in the process. I was right behind him but took the time to park mine right, if I was on Sara I might need a way to get her out and quick.