Chapter 4

Karmin Everbleed.

Extremely smart.

Incredibly beautiful.

Amazingly talented.

Extraordinarily powerful.

Total package.

A total mystery to the other students at Starshine Academy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would watch her from afar as a rival. Aching to be a little bit closer. But not too close. She is amazing. Though she seems to be the violent type.

I just want to be close enough to stand proudly and say, "Yep! I know her!" Close enough to hold her when she's down. Close enough to wipe her tears away. Close enough to love her. Close enough for her to be mine.

Today starts out normally as it always does. I stand proudly and happily next to our Principal, Mrs. Riley, doing the usual: happily greeting the students of this amazing academy.

When I see Karmin step off the Charter, my heart pumps ravenously like it continues to do everytime I see her. I see her new colors of the day. Midnight purple and white shapes her curves in a magnificent fashion. She never ceases to amaze me. I watch the way she moves as she talks to that girl whose name seem to always slip my mind.

What was it? Yasmine? No. Yolanda? No.
I know it was something with a Y.

Hmm, I know it. It's on the tip of my tongue.

Oh! Yumi. Yes! Miss Merrygrove. I remember now. Baking club president. Used to always leave me her latest projects in my football cubby. I used to lock it but I got quite accustomed to the treats she loves giving me. Plus, if she didn't have a place to store it, my football mates will jump at the opportunity to eat it.

Although, every single girl bats her eyes affectionately to myself and everyone on the football team, Karmin was different. She has no social record of dating. She doesn't even look in our general direction. She keeps her head down and in her books.

When she approaches the gates of the school building, I don't expect her to greet me. She never does. She just greets the principal. Then on her way through the doors, she shoots me a daggering look, and walks in.

But today was different. Today she greets me.

"Mr. SBP. Hello." She takes my hand and I can feel her warm soft hand for the first time.

"Karmin, you don't have to address me in such a manner. Just call me Nicky."

"I rather not, Russo. I refuse to use the first name of my competition."

"Let's hope we don't stay competitors then, huh?" I hint to her my new intentions but I don't think she caught onto my hint.

"Don't count on it." She states semi-angrily as she snatches her best friend's hand before ours can make contact.

Yumi tries to hurriedly greet me in a distorted "Hi!" before she and Karmin disappears through the school doors.

I sigh. Seeing her flowing black hair leaving so harshly.

Will she ever see me as something more?

Can I ever get close enough to her?

I continue to greet students for about 10 more minutes when Mrs. Riley turns to me brightly.

"Mr. Russo, you should head up to homeroom now. I wouldn't want you to be late."
"I wouldn't dream of being late to homeroom, Mrs. R."

"I know." She shines a big smile my way.