CHAPTER 5

hazel pov

"You are going to a party again?" I asked to Leah who was getting ready when I entered the room

"Yeah, again, I just want to have fun, it's no big deal" she said upset

"It's a big deal for me because I feel like you're giving up and your parents trust you and paid your tuition, and for what? So you can have fun and do what ever the hell you're doing at these stupid parties" I said, I was upset and couldn't let her do this to her, to her parents or even me.

Since we got back in England she started to act in a weird way, always going out and speaking to me like I was nobody.

"You know what, I'm sick of this, of you lecturing me as if I was a child, I know what I'm doing, I'm the one who's taking care of you" she screamed

"What? Why would you be taking care of me, I'm an adult who has been taking care of herself for most of her life"

"You don't understand, I'm out" she said and slammed the door

It was already midnight and she wasn't home, she clearly won't come home any time soon, I know her, but every time we fight we make up afterwards, that's how it works. When my father left I was 8 years old, he left us and I've never seen him since then, until he came back, in the middle of the night and killed my mother, I was 15 and this night is still blurry, I just stood there with my mom on the floor, and blood everywhere, on my hands also. So I lived with my sister, my half sister, that I barely knew and his mom who warned mine that he was not a good man but she was blinded by love, all she saw was the man who would take care of her and with whom whe would build a family. But it was the opposite.

I fell asleep almost immediately, when I woke up the next morning I still felt tired, I took a shower, got dressed and went to grap a cup of coffee, I was alone in my table reading when someone sat in front of me.

"Hey"

"Can I help you?" I asked confused

"yeah actually, we follow the same courses, my name is Wyatt" he said with a smile on his face

"Yes, I remember"

"You're not withyour friend, the one with the short hair?"

"No, actually I don't know where she is, we had an argument, then she left for the party at the sorority and I've never heard of her since"

"Yeah I was at the party, I saw her briefly"

"Really? Was she okay? Do you know where she went?"

"Actually I wasn't really inside the house more like outside" he said like he was gathering his thoughts and remembering as he was talking

"What were doing outisde a sorority party?" I asked confused

" I was just passing by, I saw her with some people, she went outside then I left"

"Well, that's not really helping me but thanks"

It's been five days and I haven't got any news from Leah, I was really worried, I tried one last time to call her and still nothing, these last five days I got closer to Wyatt, he was really good at listening and also a good friend, when I was in the hall wyatt was here waiting for me to go to class.

"You should see this" he said standing in front of the entrance.

"What are you talking about?"

He showed me the heal of newspaper on the floor, that I used to just walk by everyday. There was a big headline on the front page, I piked up one of the Birmingham mail newspaper and when I saw the headline I felt my heart beating faster.

The Birmingham mail

January 12, 2018

Girl found dead in Birmingham campus

The girl is still unidentified

On January the eleventh, in Birmingham university, a girl was found near the lake outside campus. Some students who were having a midnight bath found the body lying on the grass.

Apparently, the medical examiner who examined the body talked about homicide. It's seemed like it wasn't an accident even with the amount of alcohool found in her blood. She was according the to the medical examiner, killed on January the fourth around two in the morning.

No other details are immediately available since the police are still investigating the case

by Shawn Jones

I think I read the article five times before wondering if thi could be Leah, it coincided with the night that she went out. I decided to call her parents. After hanging up with her mother I felt like I was gutted from the inside. They called them two days ago and flew from England to identify the body. Her mother was devastated, so was I, I couldn't believe that my best friend was dead.