CHAPTER 3

Hazel pov

"Did you pack your stuff ?" she asked

"Yeah, I'm all done" I said closing my last bag

"Are you sure ?"

"Yes don't worry"

"you seem nervous" she said

"well I am, it's been a long time since I saw your parents and your brother" I sit on my bed in front of her

"they see you as their daughter so you don't have to worry, they love you"

"yeah but rememeber the last time I saw them, it didn't go well" I said looking at my hands

"i know but it was because of your crazy parents, not you" she said giving me a comforting smile

we finally arrived in my old town where I spent most of my time, I didn't want to go outside maybe because I was afraid to meet the ghosts of my past, I wasnt brave enough, I was once, but then I built a shell that is almost as fragile as my heart.

"Hazael you got a letter" Leah said with a brown envelop in her hand

"A letter! Who knows I'm here?!"

"It's from the county jail" she whispered, my heart missed a heartbeat, I only one person who's in jail; my father.

"I don't want to read it, you can discard it" I said

"maybe you should read it, it's been almost ten years, you can't let him bring you down for the rest of your life, you have to move on, on eway or another"

"what! Do you want me to forgive him!" I asked upset

"of course not, I just want you to be braver and stop beating yourself up with that, you're just afraid but you can't be afraid anymore"

I know she's right, I want to face my fears, I can't forget obviously but it keeps haunting me, she hands me the letter and went upstairs living me alone with my fears and this letter.

I sat on the couch, took a deap breath and opened the letter, I recognized the handwriting, he kew Leah's address and probably knew that she would give it to me.

3015 N Main St, Spanish Fork

UT 84660, USA

4716 Barrow street

Salt Lake City

Uthah, 84104

Dear Hazel,

I tried to contact you before but I think you don't live with you sister anymore.

I know it's been a long time, but I think about you every day, I miss my daughter.

It's hard in jail but I hang on, I have to, I may be out of here in ten years if I keep having a good behavior. I know you probably dont't care and don't want to see me but I want to make amends, I want to ezrn your forgiveness, even though it might be difficult for you. I know we can move on, it's been almost ten years, come see me please.

When I finished the letter, I put it back in the envelop and realized that my eyes were full of tears, it was anger not sadness, I asked myself why, after all this time why he would contact me from prison, he did a horrible thing, and he got the nerves to send me a letter and ask for my forgiveness. I never thought about seeing him, I almost forgot about him, his face, his voice, I didn't even have a picture of him. All he represented was a messed up childhood with nothing but bad memories.