Shopping and "Sweethearts"

In no time, it was finals week. I was grateful that that meant they eased up on the assignments so I had time to study.

  My studying started three weeks prior and consisted of long nights and most of those were with my plus one. Asante. He's a good study buddy. I usually can't study with other people and prefer to do it alone, but he actually helps.

  So whenever I have some free time, I pull out any book I have and started going over stuff. Like right now. I was done with classes for the day and I didn't work until later so I was enjoying the sun on a bench outside.

  I was never a person who liked to study. I'm pretty sure that's a large percent of everyone that goes to school, but I just never had to do it. I just knew stuff. But ever since I started college, it was something that I had to start doing.

  So as I reread the same line in my textbook, I zoned out as I tried to commit it to memory. I was a very visual learner so I kind of just spell things out in my head word by word and visualize them on paper for them to stick. That was the hardest part. That's also why Asante was a huge help because he would recite things out loud for me and that helps a whole lot because I can visualize what he said and that helps me remember.

  I blinked out of my head when someone came up in front of me, and looked up.

  “Huh?” I said, missing what she said.

  “I said a couple of us were going to the mall, do you wanna come?” Trish asked.

  I gave her a look.

  “It's just four of us,” she said.

  I shook my head, “That doesn't help.” I said. I don't like shopping. She knows that. I don't like the mall in general, it's not even shopping so much.

  “You sure?” She asked.

  I made a face and dragged out a sound in the back of my throat before closing my book, “Fine.” I said, putting it in my bag and zipping it closed.

  I guess it wouldn't hurt.

  She stared at me when I stood up, “Wait, you're actually coming?”

  I laughed, nodding, “Yeah. I'll follow you,” I told her as I started walking.

  She caught up to me easily, “Did you get some dick?” She asked casually.

  I snickered, “How bout you mind your business.” I retorted, shaking my head.

  “You did!” She gasped, clutching my arm.

  I pulled my arm back, stepping away, “Can you get off me,” I retorted with a laugh, “How is that even important?”

  I didn't get any “dick”, as she put it.

  “Girl, you just agreed to come out with us. You never do,” she shook her head.

  “What's the big deal?” I retorted, “It's not like I'm fun. You're not missing anything.”

  “Come on Kellisah, you're funny as hell when you actually try to be a part of our conversations,” she said, “Just… y'know, talk once in a while,” she laughed a little.

  Yeah, no.

  *A™*

  The mall was crowded like it always is, but not as much as it would be on the weekends.

  We went from store to store and each time I kind of went my separate way and browse stuff for myself. Not that I even buy anything, and they have a lot to say about that.