Chapter Twelve (part two)--He likes me?

I'm still freaking out about the anthology, Above and Beneath—the world of angels and demons making it to #1 on the Amazon charts. SO cool. Especially since I have 2 stories in it (the first and the last). I've updated my profile too if you haven't checked it out recently. While you're there maybe add yourself to the followers or if you check out my website you can even pick up a copy of Howling at the Moon for FREE. 

Anyway, it's Sunday, and as promised here is your long awaited update. Grab a latte and enjoy. (Just don't hold that coffee anywhere near Sage, she'll do anything to get her hands on a cup) :)

 (Just don't hold that coffee anywhere near Sage, she'll do anything to get her hands on a cup) :)

Rygar squeezed through the doorway with Jaxon slung over his shoulder.

"I still think you should have carried him in your arms," I said.

"Maybe if Jaxon was a girl." He dropped Jaxon onto the bed, making the bed bounce. "But a guy? Not a chance. I don't care what circle he's the Second of—that isn't happening."

I tugged the heel of his shoe, pulled it off and then the other. Rygar plunked into the easy-chair in the corner, and I placed the shoes next to the door.

"Now, Sage on the other hand," Rygar continued, "I'll carry her for as long as you like curled up in my arms."

I yanked the throw off the chair from behind Rygar and draped it over Jax. "As long as I like?"

"You wouldn't see me complaining if you asked. But now that Robin's back, I'll never get an opportunity to get close to her. It's like I'm invisible." He thumped the armrest with his fist.

"That's not true. She definitely noticed you when she broke your finger." I laughed and chucked a pillow at him from off the bed.

He snatched it out of the air and tossed it back. "Not funny, Birdie. I'm serious."

"Don't ask me for advice." I rummaged the bedside table drawer for a pen and paper, pressed the sheet flat onto the dresser top and started to write. "Clearly I'm terrible at figuring out the rules of dating."

"And yet you're engaged to two guys. You have to be doing something right."

"Then tell me what it is so I can stop. Because I'm pretty sure that tally should be one, not two." What do I say to a guy who's done so much for me? Poetry and writing weren't even close to being my gifts. I was pretty sure whatever I wrote wouldn't be enough to smooth things over with him. I scrawled down a few lines letting him know about my dad, and I wasn't abandoning my commitment to him or the contract. "If Jaxon wakes up before we get back..."

"Then we'll just have to make sure we're here. Right?"

I signed my name to the bottom of the page and folded the note into a square, or a square-like formation. I frowned at my folding job, wishing I'd paid attention to how the girls in school crafted their notes into paper cranes. Mine looked like something a guy would have given their girlfriend, quickly written and folded like it was destined for the trash. I glanced from Jaxon to the bedside table, unable to decide if I should leave the page next to the lamp or on the pillow. Maybe I should put it in his pocket? But what if he changes his clothes, then he won't get my message. I pinched the bridge of my nose. I really am terrible at this.

"A love note?"

Hardly. "More like a please don't kill me message."

"If it works, then you might need to reveal its contents, because..." Rygar's gaze darted toward the open door.

"Are you ready?" Sage's ponytail swung side to side. "Kellan's threatening to come and get you." She rested her shoulder against the doorframe. "You know, I don't think he likes you up here with Jaxon." A grin crept across her face. "Now, why would that be?"

"Be back soon." I kissed Jax's forehead, then placed the note next to the bed. The gigantic diamond ring on my finger reminded me that I better keep that promise.

"That might be one reason." She raised a brow as if silently questioning my actions.

"Jax doesn't deserve—"

"I'm with Kellan." Rygar stood. "What guy wants to see the girl he likes around some other guy. I'll see you downstairs, Birdie." He brushed past Sage, and the thud from his boots against the floor trailed the entire length of the hall, getting softer the farther he walked.

"What's with him?"

I tilted my head to the side, and gave her my best, you've got to be kidding looks.

"He likes me?" Her face twisted, and her brows scrunched together. "But—why? I haven't even been nice to him." She peeled her body off the door frame and eased onto the end of the bed. "I thought he was messing with me back at the guild. He was serious?"

I nodded. "Very."

"Why doesn't he date one of his fangirls who sneak in to watch him spar? They'd happily lineup to towel dry his sweaty naked torso after training."

"He trains shirtless?" I tossed a few snack bars, my family Grimore, and a fresh set of clothes into my bag. "You know that how?"

"Maybe you've heard there's no TV on Acklemar."

"Or pumpkin-spiced lattes. So?"

"Don't even get me started on that one." She shook her finger at me. "Anyway, I was heading over to the mess hall at the guild still scratching the pox blisters covering me, when I noticed four giggling girls, breaking into the training center." She itched her arm. "I was bored, so I followed them."

I hoisted my bag over my shoulder and shook my head. "You're just looking for trouble aren't you?"

"Hey, I take my entertainment where I can get it. And if it turns out to be two hot guys fighting it out with swords?" She bit her lip and smoothed out the navy bedspread. "Of course I stayed to watch."

"And he thinks you haven't noticed him."

"He's got a six-pack and..." She pushed up to her elbows. "After busting his finger, no way I was going to let him catch me watching."

"What about Robin?"

"What about him? He took off shortly after Jaxon arrived, didn't say good-bye or anything. Just left without a word. Who does that?" She got to her feet and wiped her flawless cheek with the back of her hand. "Besides, I haven't done anything wrong. As far as I'm concerned, Robin owes me an explanation, and it better be good."

Jaxon moaned, rolled over onto his side and mumbled something I couldn't make out.

"Come on." She stepped into the hall. "We should get going. The stronger someone's talent, the quicker the drug metabolizes. My guess is we have about a day before he'll be able to burn off the effects."

I slowly closed the door not shaking the thought of how little time that was. Each pace forward counted off like a ticking clock in my head. Dread swirled at my ankles, making me want to abandon this crazy rescue attempt. But the thought of my dad, and the numerous times I'd seen Gran hold the picture of him in the front hall when she thought I wasn't looking, and I knew I couldn't turn back.

NEXT update on SUNDAY. If you loved this update, consider following me, voting or posting your comments. What's been your FAVORITE moment of the series thus far?