Chapter Eight--(part 3) Uncovered

Gasps and murmurs echoed the arena.

Archamaeus swatted Kellan with the handful of papers he held. "You shared a ring commitment with the girl?" He smacked him again. "Are you crazy?" He stuffed the page into the seat beside him not caring they slipped onto the floor one at a time. "If your father were still alive he'd thrash you."

"I'm not six anymore, Archamaeus. I'm the leader of my circle, so kindly keep your papers to yourself or your actions might be interpreted as an act of aggression by my people." Kellan pointed to the Water Circle section where more than a few stirred in their seats looking on.

"War? You already declared that with the Fire Circle, when you plastered your ring on her." Archamaeus pinched the bridge of his nose and exhaled loudly. "If you acted more like a leader that considered his people first and not like a selfish child, then maybe I wouldn't need the reminder."

"In his defense Archamaeus, that second ring shouldn't even be possible." Brackstone rested back in his chair.

Archamaeus frowned. "Rings don't happen accidentally, there is a coupling commitment to recite."

Otis stalked toward me with his lips drawn into a thin line, stretching out his fingers then closing them into a fist as he walked. The word, pissed, didn't even begin to describe him.

Oh, crap! Jaxon jumped the gate, running full-speed toward me. Wren! Take cover.

"You dare double cross my circle?" Otis' eyes glowed nuclear orange, and he thrust open his hand clutching a fireball. "Your contract is with my son, not him." He launched the molten ball at me.

I stared at the flaming sphere tumbling toward me.

"Wren!" Kellan leaped over the rail in front of him. Snap out of it, and get off this plane now! He hurled a water lasso around Otis' arm, knocking a second molten core to the ground.

I inhaled a thread of power, igniting all the stones on my necklace and disappeared onto the astral plane. I gripped the armrests and watched the lava ball drive through my ghost-like self, smacking the backrest behind me.

Please say you're okay. Jaxon stood in front of the chair in full flame, blocking Otis from getting any closer.

Considering the attempt on my life, I guess I'm all right. I climbed over the armrest and stood next to Jaxon. Otis twitched on the ground under the web of frozen lasso strings, wrapping his body.

"I don't care who you are." Kellan crouched next to Otis. "No one harms Wren, not even you."

I uncloaked, dropping the cold veil of the astral realm. "He didn't flame up."

Jax gestured to the wooden peg fastened to his father's leg. "If he did, he wouldn't be able to walk." Jaxon released the flames covering his body and interlaced his fingers with mine. "It'd be hard to find a solid slab of stone that can withstand the heat, but when he does..."

"Play nice, and maybe I'll let you walk out of here." Kellan rapped on Otis' wooden leg with his knuckles.

Otis gritted his teeth. "Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I believe this is your trial, not mine."

Brackstone stood. "Kellan, release him."

"Fine." Kellan dropped the watery ropes from his grip, and the lasso retracted, releasing its hold over Otis. "He's all yours." Kellan waved a dismissive hand, turning away.

Otis' fingers lit up like hot coals, and he lunged at Kellan's arm.

"Kellan! Look out!" I screamed.

He spun, yanking his hand out of reach, but Otis' coal-hot index finger swept his skin. I gasped and held out my forearm. A blistering, hook-shaped mark scalded my skin.

Kellan jerked his gaze in my direction, glanced at the mark and narrowed his sight back to Otis.

"I warned you." Kellan rotated his wrist, showing off the wound matching mine. With each rotation of his fist, jagged, spikes of ice formed around his hand.

Otis let out a manic laugh. "A knotted ring?"

"Enough!" Archamaeus thrust out his arms with his palms together. The air forced past me whipping my hair around my face, sticking to my lips. When he parted his palms, Otis and Kellan slid across the arena floor in opposite directions. "If you two want to start a war between your circles, it won't be in here."

"A knotted ring... There's the evidence of damage done!" Otis pointed at me, then got to his feet. "It's not only a breach of contract on her part but is proof of his interference."

"That's not something you get to decide." Brackstone paced forward past Archamaeus. "Name your second, Otis."

"No! This is my grievance."

Blackstone crossed his arms and puffed out his chest. "Threatening a witness and attacking the accused?" He shook his head. "Your temper's got the best of you this time. Name your replacement or drop your case."

"Hardly a fair choice. He's love-blind, and she's physically tied to the outcome, isn't she?"

Jaxon's hand got hotter with each word his father spoke.

"Brackstone is right, our laws are clear." Archamaeus drifted forward using the air current around him. "Recuse yourself and name your second. Last chance, Otis."

Kellan smirked and chuckled in my head.

Otis glared at Brackstone. "Fine. I name Jaxon." He stalked toward his chair but paused when he got close to us. "Let's see where your loyalties lie, son." He looked me up and down, then wiped his mouth on his sleeve. "Order of duties, Jaxon." He slapped Jaxon on the shoulder. "Remember that."

What's that supposed to mean?

There's a reason you've never met my mother. In the Fire Circle, we have a sworn duty to our talent above everything, even above our family or partner. Break it and—

Die? I swallowed.

Jaxon nodded.

Kellan sent a blast of water over his burnt arm. Jaxon, your Circle is seriously messed up. You know that right?

Shut up, Kellan. You don't get a say in how my Circle is run. How about minding your own business and staying out of mine for a change? Jaxon rubbed my arm and pointed to the chair of truth. "You need to finish your statement."

My heart sank. "No chance of being done, huh?"

He looked up at me beneath his lashes. At least my father isn't asking the questions this time.

That's what I'm worried about.

ANOTHER post TOMORROW! Yup, it's mostly written. So, stay tuned tomorrow night for another post. :)