"Then why would you choose him? Over me?"

It was just the two of you

It was just the two of you. The rest of the Avengers had left, the air too tense to continue the discussion. They had picked their sides and were prepared to defend it. You were still seated at the table, watching your boyfriend stare out the window. 

Finally, after about five minutes of silence, Steve spoke up. "Are you upset with me?" 

He kept his back turned to you while he waited for a response. "No, of course not."

"What did I do wrong?" He spun to face you now. His arms were crossed over his chest and in his eyes you could see how betrayed he felt. 

"You didn't do anything, Steve." You held his gaze.

"Then why would you choose him?" He sounded utterly and completely helpless. "Over me?" He couldn't understand why you wouldn't side with him. You had been in a relationship for almost a year now and had always stood by him, no matter what. But this time was different.

"Tony's my brother, Steve. I can't abandon the only family I have left." You stood up from your seat and took a few slow steps toward him. "I love you, but I can't leave him." 

"I know that's not the real reason." He took a step toward you. "Bucky's my friend."

"He's also taken countless innocent lives, broken several laws... He's a fugitive, Steve." You tried not to respond to the hurt expression that flashed across his face for a brief second. Instinctively, you reached a hand out to touch him, but stopped midway. You could barely stand to stay in the same room knowing you had hurt him. 

"He isn't like that anymore." It was hard to tell if Steve was trying to reassure you or himself.

"How can you possibly know that?" You said, barely above a whisper.

Steve just looked at you, his eyes held a hint of sadness and his stance showed that he was closed off to you.  Without another word, he left the room. 

~

The day had arrived. You were prepared to fight alongside Tony, even if you were now unsure whether or not it was the right thing to do. You'd been second guessing yourself since the last time you spoke to Steve. You hadn't seen him since that day and you felt horrible about the way the two of you had left things. You've been in a constant state of depression, barely eating or leaving your room, always feeling tired, and constantly checking your phone for a text or a call from Steve. You never got one.

"You don't have to do this, (Y/N)." Tony placed a comforting hand on your shoulder.

"I-I want to," You replied, but it didn't feel like the truth anymore. You weren't sure Bucky was really who Tony portrayed him to be. If Steve trusted him then there was obviously good inside him. You refrained from looking Tony in the eye. Of course, he could tell you were no longer feeling it.