Part One - Mummy's little girl

The tapping of my mother's fingernails on the window ledge was starting to drive me insane. tap. tap. tap. Like i wasn't anxious enough. tap. tap. tap. I could feel my anger rising up inside me like the volcano that errupted in last year's Games. The second quarter quell were there were fourty-eight tributes and not twenty-four.

   I'd normally go out with my axe and cut down some trees but not today. All the parents and kids have been given a day off just  for the reaping and then we all have to watch friends die. Its different for us than the Capitol, they feel no heart ache just a tiny pain when their favourite tributes die. 

  "Mother! Stop that." i turn and face her.

  "Leigha, i am just nervous. All the parents in all the districts are." my mother pushes away the brown curls from her eyes. You would never think that we are related. Not closely anyway. Her brown hair and eyes next to my dirty blonde hair and sky blue eyes.

 "Sorry."i look down at the floor. "I too am very nervous about this year's reaping"

   Oh and another thing. She hates me talking in the way my father does. She would rather me talk in a formal manner than informal but she can't exactly stop me when I'm not around.

  "Come here. Your hair must be dry by now. I'll do it up all nice for you? How about that?" she asks.

     I nod and walk over. I don't see how she acts so normal. Especially after all the tension in the house with my sister. To be straight, my mother asked her that if I ever got reaped if she would take my place but with being two years older, it would be for the last time. My sister didn't want to give up her life. She didn't see why she should when it was her last year. Anyway, they got into an argument about it and now it's too awkward around the house.

  "There we are. let us have a good look at you" she puts me at arms legnth and studies me. "Perfect. Go on.  It is almost time. Let's hope your sister has second thoughts if you are reaped. You have always been my special little girl"

"Mother, I have never taken any tesserae and my name is in there four times. I'll be fine" I help put her mind at rest.

"Alright. May the odds be ever in your favour" She says as I start off. "Leigha, it is 'i will' not 'i'll'"

 I smile and head out of the door. She misses nothing, my mother. Time to show my mother I don't need a brutish big sister to protect me from this phantom reaping where my name will be picked. Because it will never happen.