Part Three - Promises you can't keep

Now i am doing what my mother was doing before. Tapping my nails on the window ledge. tap. tap. tap. I was so stupid. To be overconfident. I always knew that if i got reaped i would fight to win but I can't with Noah. Like there's a unbreakable glass window that is stopping me. I don't even know why I would want to kill him. Deep down I love him.

   The door opens and my mother walks in. The peacekeeper behind her reminds us that we only have three minutes to say goodbye.

  "Mother, i am so sorry" i say as she walks over and give me a tight hug. Even now I feel i need to speak formal.

  "Do not ever be sorry. It is not your fault. I knew we could never trust your pathetic excuse of a sister" she says, cradling me in her arms.

  "How will you manage to feed Father and yourself on just his pay?" i ask, probably more concerned for her than me.

She shakes her head. She knows what i'm thinking, even when I don't look at her. She always knows.

"At least you shall have an ally in the arena. Someone who you can trust." i know she is talking about Noah so I decide to tell her my problem.

"How can I win with Noah around? I can not let him die!" I ask her, tears starting to form in my eyes. 

We sit in silence until a peacekeeper comes and tell my mother it is time to go.

 "Say goodbye to my father for me? Tell him that i love him. That i love you both" i say as she leaves the room.

  My next visitor surprises me. My sister walks through the doors.

"Oh no.My baby little sister got reaped" she says sarcastically. 

"Shut up Gabby! I saw you laughing when I was on stage" i growl.

 She attempts to hug me but I push  her back. "You always were mother's favourite. Ever since you were born! It's Leigha this and Leigha that! well i am so sick of it"

 "You ever wonder why you aren't mother and father's favourite? It is because you're a bitch. a spiteful, ignorant and evil cow" i say, my voice getting louder.

  "You little..." she doesn't finish but jumps to her feet and knocks me to the ground. "I hate you. I hope you don't make it back! you are filth."

 A peacekeeper bangs on the door asking if he has to come in but then Gabby switches roles. She pushes herself to the floor with me above her. "Help!! Please! She is trying to kill me"

 "Gabby? What are you doing?" I ask but then i realise that the door has been flung open and the peacekeeper is pulling me off her. "It's a set up! It was her not me"

  "Miss please go now" the peacekeeper asks Gabby to leave and she makes no hurry to. Slowly limping away as though in pain. I see her pass Noah and his brother as she walks through the door. He looks up at her and she smiles mischievously.

  "Get off me!" i struggle free from the peacekeeper and head for the door. I wasn't finished with her. I run past the door but someone catches me. Noah.

"It's time to go, Leigha" he looks like he has been crying.

"I need to get her! Noah! let me go!" i try to escape his grasp but give up after he pulls me towards him.

"leave her. she isn't worth it" he says.Then gently rocks me whilst making soothing noises. I can't believe he has put up with me for this long. Any other person would find new friends. 

  I dismiss anything said in the car and when we arrive at the station, i want to get on the train as fast as possible to avoid the cameras but obviously that was not possible.

  Petrenella then takes us into the train and shows us the layout. As soon as she shows me my room I hurry inside and lock the door. Lock myself in from the disgusting world outside.