Chapter 2

I drum my fingers against the wooden desk as Mr.Take teaches. It has been more than a week of school and I just noticed that Mr.Take's wig changed colour. He writes stuff on the board and I copy it down. He says something I copy it down. He reads something I copy it down. Whatever comes out of that man's mouth, I write it down. I flip through my notebook aimlessly, looking at my doodle filled pages. 95% drawings. 5% notes; despite all the copying I try to do. His handwriting is messy and quick and the chalk hits the board with a "tock!" sound every now and then. 

I slouch in my seat and stare blankly at the board. I copy down more stuff. I look at the scar on my hand and draw on it. I drew branches on it making it look like a tree. I stare at Mr.Take. As he turns around me make eyes contact for split second and I quickly pretend I'm writing something. I hear the bell ring for break and I speed-walk outside. Girls, boys as well, stare at me as I loom over them. I'm quiet tall for a girl, but I've seen taller. As I go the water fountain I feel someone's presence behind me. 

" How tall are you?" I hear Tsukishima say from behind, not fazing me at all. Within in the past weeks of school this has been a common occurrence. I'll be around school and he'll pop up every now and then to make some snarky remarks just to throw me off.

I wipe the water off my mouth with my sleeve and turn around. " I dunno. How tall are you? Are you even Japanese?" I point at Tsukishima and grill him with more questions. He stares at me like I'm crazy. I answer his question. " Okay, okay. Last time I checked I was around 180 cm." 

" 'Kay." He walks away. 

What the hell was that? I walk back into the class and put my head on the desk.

~

I spike the ball as the manager tosses it in the air. The ball hits the other side and I join the back of the line. I can see over most the other girls; a secret insecurity of mine since forever. I stick out like a sore thumb, the head-turner of every room. 

I continue to peer over their heads and watch them spike. Boom, boom, boom. Each of them spiking the ball over the net, all of them light on their feet and flexible. I get closer to the front of the line as we shuffle forwards. I look at the net. The barrier. I hear someone's sneaker squeak and I look forward. The ball flies upward. I run forward and jump. My feet lifts off the ground. I pull my arm backwards and launch it towards the ball. I feel my palm hit the ball with a "WHAP!" sound. The ball zooms towards the other side. I feel my right palm sting, I smirk and my feet hits the ground again. I join the line again. I hear the other girls whisper. I hear a girl in the front yell.

"SUGOI!" 

I see the coach smirk. I smile sheepishly, but in the back of my mind I knew that I could do better once I turned my left hand over, glancing at my once angry red scar.

~

" Okay guys! Practice is over for today! Goodnight everyone."

After cleaning up I grab my stuff from the change-room and head out. As I walk out the gym I hear someone call my name.

" Takizawa-san!" 

I turn around. A short girl with a paper-boy haircut calls me. 

" Yes?" I look at her with tired eyes and a slouched stance. My bag hangs lazily off my shoulder, almost falling off.

" Wanna go see the boys' practice?!" She says with excitement. A twinkle lights up in her eyes just like when she sets the ball during practice.

"No thank you," I reply. "I'm not interested in those type of things. I think their practice is over as well." I begin to walk away I feel someone tug on my arm. I look down at another other girl with a long ponytail, also baring the same twinkle in her eyes.