The Sea and the Sky: write

11/13/18

Storm surges. Tide magnetizes, its breath hitched by the beauty of the lightning. The water roils, quells, rushes on again. Beat, slash, its angered song thumping the rocks of salt and kelp. Beat, slash, its black fists ball and release. Its frothing brow frowns and fades. Its eyes mist, its body heaving with pressured emotion.

Beat, slash. The sea wants to touch the beautiful clouds but the wind sweeps its cries away. Its calls are furrowed into coves and conches, through every echoing hall of the land--you hear its tortured serenade, you hear it carried to fenceposts by foolish gulls, but you do not hear it rain from the clouds.

For the sky is above it all, the sky cannot understand the tremors and quakes of the ground. It cannot understand the sorrow that fills the sea's trenches, the hot anger that fumbles within its volcanoes. It cannot feel the shift and grind of quarreling plates.

The sky is clear and gray, sending its fleets of leaden clouds to toy with the poor sea.

It does not understand how tremendously the sea's heart constricts when the lightning flashes, how its gut stirs with the thunder.

To the sky, everything below it is just a prop to be played with again, and again, and again.