Hard Decisions

A/N//:

On the fifth day of Christmas
My author gave to me
Five Golden Trojans
Four big words
Three tiny smiles,
Two pounding hearts, and
One cheater with too many regrets

Chapter Five-Hard Decisions

"What?" I pulled back and covered my chest with the sheets of the bed.

"Don't freak out, please," he begged with his words and his eyes. He sat up and caressed the goosebumps on my skin. "Look, I know this is sudden, like really sudden, but I-"

"Where do you live?" I had a feeling I already knew, but I wanted to know. When he raised his eyebrows and slightly pursed his lips, I knew I was right. "The North Pole."

"I don't want to push you, but...I know about the accident and all that's been going on with Ben and I just figured that I would offer and..."

I kind of spaced out after that. The accident. The accident that took away my family when I was eighteen. If I hadn't been sick, it would've been me too. I would've gotten hit by that drunk girl, I would've flipped four times, and I would've been dead too. I still remember when I got the call, the funeral, and watching the three caskets being buried in the soft earth. I hadn't realized I was crying until Nick kissed away the tears in my cheeks.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered, brushing my hair back. "I didn't mean to bring up an awful memory for you; I just figured that-"

"No, you're right," I said, giving him a tight-lipped smile. "It's just a very hard decision for me, you know? I've lived in this city my whole life, this is where I see my family, and if I move away..." Nick took my hands in his, kissing them to comfort me.

"They'll move with you. Win, you're family will stay in your heart for the rest of your life. Just because they are buried here doesn't mean they stay here; they are with you wherever you go, love." I hadn't realized I was crying until I felt Nick's fingertips brush them away. "I didn't mean to make you cry," he sighed.

"No," I sniffled, trying to discreetly wipe my nose. "You're right; they're with me everywhere. That does make this situation easier, but it's still difficult for me. I've lived here all my life, Nick." I sighed and looked at his milk chocolate eyes, soothing me with his glance. "When do you need to know?"

"I need to get home as soon as possible..."

"And my things?"

"I'll help you with them...and I'll get some recruits too."

My eyes widened and I was suddenly giddy with excitement. "Elves?!"

He chuckled. "Well, I can't move everything by myself, can I?"

When I thought about it, I really didn't have a lot to bring with me; just clothes and a few knick knacks that I've collected or been given. Almost all the pictures that were on the walls were of me and Ben, so I definitely didn't want to take those. "I should probably buy some warmer clothes, huh?"

"Is that a yes, or do you need to sleep on it?"

"It's a yes; I don't need sleep." He smiled and I swear my heart soared. He leaned in and placed his lips against mine, the perfect taste of Christmas.

"And you're sure?"

"Absolutely," I assured him, taking one of his hands in both of mine. "I think it's time for me to be a little more spontaneous, don't you think? You know how I've always lived in a fantasy world, and now the real world seems like a fantasy."

"If you want it to be, sure."

"So will you feed me cookies and eggnog by the fire everyday?"

Nick laughs and nods, pulling me into him and settling us under the covers. "If that's what it takes to keep you with me, I'll do it," he whispers against my hair. "I'll set up a nice, comfortable chaise near the fireplace that's just for you, your cookies, and the eggnog."

I sighed and turned around to get comfortable. I smiled in realizing that we were spooning. That's when I remembered that I drank a whole bottle of wine...shouldn't I be shit-face drunk right now? "Nick?"

"Hm?"

"Did you do something to me?"

"Well, yeah, I just made love to you, like half an hour ago."

I rolled my eyes. "No, not that. I drank a whole bottle of wine and I feel fine."

Nick chuckled and pulled me closer, kissing my hair. "Oh, Winter, you've never had wine, have you?"

"Well...no. It was in a fancy bottle and it was next to all the wine."

"Winter, that was sparkling grape juice, for New Year's Eve," he laughed, losing his breath. "Oh, Chris Crinkle, that's hilarious."

I felt heat flush up to my cheeks and I buried myself in the covers of my bed. "Shut up," I whined, slightly kicking at his legs. He continued to laugh at me and I grew even more embarrassed. Why, why, why?

A/N//:

That was so cute!