Chapter 8

Deserts of Rajasthan, India.

It had been a couple of weeks since their confrontation, and they had a plan laid out for their next mission, only this one included Sam, who was finally doing much better and had almost returned to his usual self.

This was another one of the bases they had to get through, their plan was set to cross the border and attack one of the major bases early in the morning the following day. They had their Quinjet securely parked in a deserted area, and Steve and Natasha pretended to be one of the touristy couples who had come here to explore the beauty and enjoy the solitude of the magnificent place.

Though they did have a laugh over it through their planning process, getting a little teased by Sam.

"So finally, huh? You guys get to be who you really are." Sam elbowed Steve, earning a pointed look from both him and Natasha.

"Wanda you're on my side in this one!"

Wanda walked over towards him with a sly smile, "yeah, you're right. Just like you always get to be your true self. An idiot." The three of them snickered at his expense. Wanda smugly earned a pat on her back by Natasha, "you're learning lil' one."

"C'mon man," he huffed, cornered by all of them.

They continued with their discussion, setting up each one's task and their precise location; the entire layout of the plan being thoroughly analyzed in great detail. And once finally done with it, Natasha smirked, "I think we've reached the stage where one of us should snap a picture and post it on those sleazy social media sites and label it with a catchy name for our squad."

"How 'bout 'The Winter Soldier gang,' huh? Cause technically while we were getting beat up by him we found 'purpose,'" Sam joked, making everyone laugh. "Not you though," he suddenly turned towards Wanda with mock seriousness, "were you even born that time?"

"Shut up birdbrain."

Now, while Sam and Wanda were off to their respective tasks, gathering all the intel they could, Steve and Natasha had a few hours to inspect the area, do a brief mapping and interact with locals to get all possible information regarding the border activities. It didn't take them long though, and they had the luxury to spend some peaceful moments of the night sitting not too far from the bonfire but secluded enough in the dark to not be noticed. The chilly winter breeze and the aroma of the desert along with some folk music and dance performed in a nearby distance gave them the most spectacular view, they sat cozily on a mat, nestled up with their shawl, completely falling in character so naturally, it almost felt strange.

The sky was filled with beguiling, shimmering stars, that now, like the two of them and their feelings, felt no compulsion to remain hidden, displaying their magnificence so splendidly.

"So what about Sharon huh?"

"You mean the nurse?"

"She's not a nurse..." Natasha almost snickered, feeling the nostalgia. "And Sam told me you kissed her?" She raised her eyebrows a little, feigning curiousness.

"Umm...it was awkward. I owed her for the help...and with the look she gave me, I didn't know what else to do."

"Wow, Rogers. When you don't know what to do, just kiss somebody. That seems like a plan," she teased.

He blushed for a brief moment after which suddenly remembering, he stated, "You don't say. You're the one who was after my life to go on a date with her."

"Yeah, yeah. It was an amazingly humorous situation to see you awkward and flustered, but then again, those girls were after my life."

"Yeah right. I bet they were also trapped by your persuasive skills."