Peaceful Travels

Le Gull walked into the innermost part of the city, where Magisterium's teleportation network was towering to the sky. It was a very old structure. Despite its age, the structure looked magnificent, together with the inner ring of the city's fortification, it was reminiscent of a slender castle and in a way it was, playing a role of the fortified city's keep.

Not minding the grand appearance, Le Gull entered through the main gate and walked in the direction of the teleports. This network was one of the key reasons of Emerald Dream's success. Elfs were skilled in fabricating spells from runes and healing, but their destructive and battle magic was weak compared to other races. This network was giving them an advantage of immediate military presence in any of their larger cities and rendered all attempes of siege meaningless, due to their ability to bring troops and supplies through the network.

"The Forest of Giants." Le Gull presented his papers to the guards, who were guarding the entrance to the network. The sacurity was tough, as expected of the key military facility of the empire.

"You may proceed." One of the guards returned Le Gull the papers and stepped aside.

The next minute, Le Gull stepped on the appropriate set of symbols, which had been carved into the floor thousands of years ago and was blinded by a dazzling light. The next second, he was in the Forest of Giants fotress, which had been made out of an exceptionally huge tree, which was overlooking the region.

Le Gull took a deep breath and sighed, a broad smile on his lips. The higher-ups thought this was a punishment, but he felt relieved. Reporting his mischief, he felt like a huge burden had been lifted off his shoulders. No more power struggles, no more plans to eradicate vampires, he had foolishly brought into the empire.

He could finally relax.

After contacting the local office of the Magisterium, He received a sealed paper with his mission and a house had been assigned to him. Walking down the path carved inside of the huge tree, he pulled out the paper out of his pocket and broke the seal. Unfolding the paper, he began to read his orders.

As he had expected, he received a task unworthy of a senior magister. He was expected to travel around the local villages, resolving their problems concerning magic.

"Ah, they have even gave me a permission to command a few soldiers. How nice I won't be traveling alone. " Le Gull folded the paper again and headed to the local barracks to pick up his personnel. He wanted to set off immediately, before someone decided to change his mission.

But he was already too late.

"I am sorry, but we have an emergency here. I cannot spare anyone!" An elf in golden-green armor snapped at Le Gull.

"Preposterous! I have an order!" Le Gull gripped the order in his hand and began waving it in front of the elf's eyes. "See?"

"Phe, you know, what you can do with your papers. I have a rebellion here, I won't send anyone on a babysitting mission. Your allowance is high enough, hire a mercenary, if you are afraid to go alone magister." The elf said venomously and turned his back to Le Gull.

"You are obligated to fulfill my request!" Le Gull rised his voice, but the door to the elve's office had already been closed.

Le Gull sighed, he had no option, but to follow the given advice.

Several hours passed and Le Gull was making his way to the first village. Gnashing his teeth, he gripped the hilt of his sword, turning his head to see a group of mercenaries marching behind them.