T w o

History class is something I'm considering skipping. Tanner was a total ass and incredibly boring. I looked over to Matt and imitated stabbing my eye with the pen in the middle of Tanners' lecture...

"The Battle of Willow Creek took place right at the end of the war in our very own Mystic Falls." Mr. Tanner said, walking away from the board with a piece of chalk in his hand. "How many casualties resulted in this battle? Ms. Bennett?"

"Um," Bonnie trailed. "A lot." A few kids chuckled at her response. "I'm not sure. Like a whole lot."

"Cute becomes dumb in an instant, Ms. Bennett." Mr. Tanner disproved.

"Mr. Donovan? Would you like to take this opportunity to overcome your embedded jock stereotype?"

"It's okay, Mr. Tanner, I'm cool with it," Matt declined.

"Hmm... Elena? Surely you can enlighten us about one of the town's most significant historical events?"

"I'm sorry, I—I don't know." Elena shook her head.

"I was willing to be lenient last year for obvious reasons, Elena. But the personal excuses ended with summer break."

My jaw clenched at the harsh words. How could someone be so–I didn't even know the right word for it.

"What about you Ms.Summers." I opened my mouth to answer, but he interrupted me.

Jerk. I actually knew the answer.

"There were 346 casualties. Unless you're counting local civilians." Stefan answered, drawing tanner's attention away from me. I took a moment to recollect myself. This old bastard wasn't worth my time, anyway.

"That's correct. Mister...?" Tanner said, searching for a last name.

" Salvatore," Stefan told him bluntly.

"Salvatore. Any relation to the original settlers here at Mystic Falls?" Mr. Tanner asked.

"Distant."

"Well, very good. Except, of course, there were no civilian casualties in this battle." Tanner smirked.

"Actually, there were 27, sir-" I did my best to hide the attitude in my voice as I corrected him, "Confederate soldiers...They fired on the church, thinking it was filled with weapons."

"They were wrong. It was a night of great loss." Stefan added. "The founder's archives are—uh, stored in civil hall if you'd like to brush up on your facts, Mr. Tanner." Stefan finished.

"Hmm." Tanner frowned in defeat.

I turned my head so I could see Stefan. I whispered a thank you, and he bowed his head in response, wearing a polite smile.

This guy was pretty cool in my book.

I lost count of the number of drinks I'd had. No matter how much I drank, the buzz never really stayed long. I would definitely get pretty tipsy but never drunk. That didn't mean I wasn't high as shit.

I terribly scream the words to whatever song was playing at the top of my lungs. Who was I dancing with? I had no clue. None of it mattered to me. I was having a blast, and I felt amazing. That's all I cared about.

I went to take another sip from my drink and found that it was empty. I parted from the hoard of sweaty bodies and grab myself a beer, discarding my cup in the trash.

Elena and Bonnie ditched me a long time ago. They didn't approve of my behavior. I was setting an awful example for Jermey or something like that. I positively didn't give a shit about any of that crap. Yeah, I care for Jeremy, and I hate the way he's dealing with the loss, but it works... Lena needs to understand that everyone has a different way of coping. Not everyone could be a little miss sunshine.