T w e l e v e

Witches and vampires have infiltrated my life. Yet somehow, math class is what will push me over the edge.

I sigh in relief the second I'm out of the class. I spot Matt standing by his locker and decide this is the best time for us to patch things up. "Hey Matt..." He glanced at me, then diverted his attention back to his phone. He looked upset, and I was positive it had everything to do with Vicki.

Stefan failed to stop her from feeding, which means she now has officially joined the vamp squad. "Vicki just called." He muttered.

"Is she okay?"

"Uh yeah, I just wish she wouldn't....go off on her own, you know." I hummed in agreement as we started walking. "Look I'm sorry I've been-"

"Ignoring me?" I finished for him. "It's cool. You were right, not doing anything won't fix it."

"It still wasn't right for me to ditch you. You're my best friend, plus you're completely helpless without me." Matt wrapped his arm around my shoulder, squeezing me into his side.

"Right, like you could ever outlast me... Does this mean we're besties again?"

"You know I hate it when you say 'besties' but yes we are. And if I'm not mistaken, you lost a bet which means I get to choose your costume this year." Matt pointed out. I cringe as he mentions a bet we made over the summer. Everyone knew Tyler Lockwood wasn't one to settle down, but for some strange reason, I thought I could fix that.

"I thought you forgot about that and you know it's kinda messed up. You'd think dating the guy would stop him from sleeping with your sister."

"Honestly," He shook his head in disbelief, "anyway... I'm thinking maybe...hot dog, a pig, SpongeBob. What about a clown?" I rolled my eyes, running ahead to get away from his terrible costume ideas.

--

"I do not appreciate being ignored," Carden whined. He practically appeared out of thin air and insisted on joining me on my trip to Gram's house. Hopefully, she'd be able to confirm the familiar thing since I'm still not totally believing the idea yet. "Be lucky I haven't reported you to the sheriff yet — how did you even find me?"

"It's my job to find you. Where are we going? Do you have any more skittles?" Ignoring him, I get out of my car and run up the porch steps. Grams greets us at the door before I could even knock. We settled in at the dining table, candles at the ready and Cardens stuffing his face with food Grams offered him.

"He's actually who he says he is?"

"Mhm," Sheila responded, "I've never met a Familiar myself until now. They aren't very common. Witches nowadays don't really rely on them."

"Then why do I have one?."

"I'm bonded to you because you're Unity's vessel. Think of me as the guy that gets you out of stupid messes." he expressed with a mouth filled with food.

"Chew your food before you speak." Grams scolded, distastefully. "They couldn't send you one with manners." She whispered, and I grinned. "Alright, let's begin." Grams ordered, making sure we set everything right.

I sucked in a deep breath, my eyes falling shut while I performed the exercise she taught me last. "Relax, feel the heat of the fire rise inside of you." Grams explains to me in a soothing tone. "Think about sharing that flame with the candle."

"Not gonna work." Carden quipped. My eyes snapped open towards him.

"Will you hush?"

He shrugged innocently. "I've worked with many vessels before and I'm telling you this whole feel the fire thing isn't gonna work."