F i v e

"Ooh. Look at you. You look hot in your jersey." Stefan smiled as he approached us.

"What happened? No more cheerleader?" He asked.

"She's a quitter, a weakling. We were meant to rule this school with your cheerleader status, Elena. You failed me!" I tease in my best villain voice. She shoved me playfully to the side.

"No, hey, you're not a quitter," Stefan reassures, taking her hands into his.

"Yeah, ew." I ditched them before they could start making out in front of me. A pair of arms wrapped around my waist and raised me off the ground. "Oh, I missed my little punching bag."

"Matt, you couldn't kill a fly pah lease!" I shrieked as he twirled me around.

He set me down. "You're right, but I could tickle you to death." I backed away, laughing, bringing my arms up to protect my sides.

"Don't you dare!" I threatened. "Matt!" I nearly fell to the ground with laughter. He relentlessly tickled my sides until I was gasping for air. He held on to me so I wouldn't fall on my ass.

"You look much better." He ruffled my hair. I swatted his hand away.

"I had to pull myself together for your big day."

"Aww, you took the nasty medicine for me." He pestered in a baby voice, pinching my cheeks.

"Ugh, stop making me not want to do nice things for you," I grumbled, pulling his hands away from my face. "You better kick the other team's ass."

"The way Stefan plays, I don't think I'll be doing much." We turned and watched Stefan clasping a necklace around Elena's neck.

I placed my hands on Matt's shoulders, forcing him to look at me. "Don't worry about him. You, Matty, are the quarterback. You will get a lot of bitches if you win this game." He rolled his eyes but knew not to interrupt my speeches. "Stefan and the team are like the force, but you, Donovan, you control the force. The force is nothing without you. So may the force be with you."

"There are many things wrong with what you said."

"You're missing the point." I defended.

"No, you're ruining Star Wars. You need to stop." Matt argued, slowly backing away.

"How rude!" I shout, chasing after him.

"That doesn't mean quote full house either!"

-

"Are you really smoking and drinking at a football game?" I jokingly scold Jeremy, ignoring the other kids in his company. He blew the smoke out.

"You here to take over for Elena?" He questions sharply, taking another hit from what was in his hand. I snatched it and put it to mine instead. "Guess that's a no." Jeremy trailed, watching as the smoke left my lips.

"Jer, you could at least try to be discrete about it." I sat in the truck beside him, taking the opportunity for family bonding time.

Jeremy and I used to be close. Closer than Elena and I ever were. Even though he was younger than me, I didn't mind having him tag along. Since I was the only child, I never understood why Elena got so annoyed whenever Jeremy wanted to play with us. If she wanted to go out with her friends and ditch her brother, I had no problem staying at the house and playing video games with him.

"I don't care what any of these losers think of me." Jeremy spat, clearly talking about someone specifically from the way he looked.

"I'm telling you this because I love you, but you are one of the biggest losers I know. Stop trying to be all hard or you'll end up like the very person you hate without even knowing it." He looks at me, dumbfounded. "What?" I ran a hand across my face in case there was something there.