T h i r t e e n

'

"You have an unhealthy obsession

"You have an unhealthy obsession." Carden arched an eyebrow at me, a spoonful of ice cream poised halfway to his mouth, book in hand. He occupied my desk chair while I sat on my bed. "Throw the damn wrappers away."

He taunted me, gathering all the discarded wrappers he had left strewn across my floor. "Don't get all worked up just because you can't appreciate the finer things in life."

"By 'finer things,' you mean cavities wrapped in cute packaging," I retorted.

"Stop judging me! it's delicious!" He defended. What person just eats the way he does? A 7-year-old child. "Let's focus on important things, not my eating habits. Like today's incident... Your power only activating when you're mad is a bad thing."

"I know, but this time it was different. I had a sense of what I was doing, and I felt more in control, not just because Priya urged it," I explained to him. He placed his empty bowl and book on my desk. "Let's hope it stays that way."

"Where are you going?" I asked as he made his way toward the door. He turned back with a smug look. "I've got things to do."

"Like what?" without answering my question he left, probably just going to buy more candy.

With Carden gone, I seized the opportunity to prepare for tonight's Halloween party at school. I already planned on attending since Matt bought me a costume. Now Elena and Jermey were joining me even though I'm sure it was just a way for Elena to keep her eyes on Jeremy.

It didn't take me long to locate Matt. As we approached him, a smile spread across his face, and he enveloped me in a bear hug. "You look incredible! The costume fits perfectly, doesn't it?"

"I love it! Now I can fulfill my Azula fantasy!" I spun around to showcase the outfit. Matt had chosen an Avatar-themed costume for me, knowing how I used to make jokes about it. Little did we know those jokes would turn out to be oddly prophetic. "I absolutely adore it. It's way better than being a misshapen penis... No offense to your little guy, though."

His eyes widened, a hand pressed against his chest. "I pay you a compliment, and you wound me. You're merciless, my friend. So, you went with last year's costume as well?" Matt shifted his attention to Elena.

"Yeah, I didn't even know I was coming until an hour ago," She admitted.

"Me neither." Matt chuckled, then turned to Jeremy. "And you're going as... yourself?"

Jeremy scoffed, casting a glance in my direction before wandering off. "He's not talking to us right now. We got into a fight." Elena tells Matt sadly, looking in the direction he went.

"He isn't talking to her. He and I are on the best of terms." He smiled at my comment as Elena softly hit my arm.

"It's okay Elena, I understand your pain. I got into it with Vic too, when she got home. I'm trying not to smother her tonight, but part of me didn't wanna let her out of my sight."