Chapter 1: The Dream

"I'm running. I'm running and see people pass by me. I try to speak to them, but they can not hear me. They are giants, and they don't acknowlege me. I cry and cry out to them. I know I am shouting. I know I am making noise; the people don't seem to understand me. A person finally looks at me. The person has no face. I am scared. The person grows a mouth; smiles: reaches for me. The mouth forms words. It makes sounds............ Beep?"

I wake to the sound of my annoying alarm. I pull the covers over my head. I just need a few more hours of sleep.

"Amethyst! Wake up! I'm not dragging you out of bed today."

I grumbled in half-sleep. I just need a few more hours. A few more hours of blissful sleep will do me good. I feel a rush of freezing air, when my mother yanks the covers off my body.

"It's eight o' clock. You need to get ready for school......NOW." My mother gives a cheerful smile, " I picked out your outfit for today."

Nag, nag, nag. I'll get up when I want to. That woman can be so uptight. I feel weight on my feet. I look at the foot of the bed, and I sputter in anger. I see an, irratatingly, cute outfit. There was a pink shirt with a kitten on it, white capris, a pink headband, and white ballet flats. Disgusting.