Chapter 47 (Peggy Interlude)

"Hey, Thomas?"
"Yeah, Lex?" That's different...
"I love you." He nudges his nose in the crook of my neck.
"I love you too. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Peggy* 

I'm so excited!!! We're having our annual Christmas meltdown party! Everyone coming to our house. The whole squad and I'm in charge of decorations so I came home earlier than the other two nut heads. 

I walked in the big dark oak door and breathe in the familiar scent of home. 

"Mom? Dad?" I call out and drop my bags on the couch. 

"Margarita?" My dad walks into the front room and scans me up and down. 

"You look a mess. Did you walk through a blizzard?!" He scrunches his eyebrows and I tilt my head and smile. 

He's the same as always. 

Muy estricto. 

Y tenso. 

"Actually no. I walked through some snow and slight rain. Should I go clean up?" 

He grunts and shakes his head. 

My mom walks in. 

"MY PEGGS!" She rushes up and hugs me tightly, despite the melting snow all over me. 
I hug back and Smile widely. 

"Hey, mommy." She always likes it when I call her mommy. Makes her feel like I'm still her little girl. She doesn't say it but I can tell she enjoys it. She steps back and cups my cheek in her hand. 

"Still got my looks I see." She smirks and I laugh. 
"Yup." 
"Well, what are you standing here for? Give me your coat and go get some hot chocolate. You know where it is." She pulls off my coat and pushes me in the direction of the small bottom floor kitchen. 

My Dad follows after me and stands up straight in the doorway scrutinizing my every move. 

I turn around and smile at him. 

"You have nothing to smile for. Your hair is dripping in some places, curly in other messy in most and barely straight." 

My smile falters a bit before I regain my posture. 

"I'm sorry. I didnt realize that it was so unruly. I'll go clean it up right now." I turn and head for my bathroom up the stairs he huffs and turns back to the front room where my mom is shuffling around all of my many bags. 

I let my smile drop and continue to walk up the stairs. My phone buzzes in my pocket. 

LizardBear- Hey! hows Mom and Dad? 
PegsLeg- I missed mom. Dad is still muy tenso. 
LizardBear- I didnt 6take Spanish for 5 years what does that mean? 
PegsLeg- He's still uptight. 
LizardBear- Dad isn't uptight! He's such a softie. 

I wanted to type back "To you" but Liza would just tell me I'm overdramatic. 

PegsLeg- Yeah yeah. I missed him too. I'm kidding Chickie ;) 
LizardBear- OH! You got me! Lol, are the decorations ready to be put up? 
PegsLeg- In a sec. Dad told me to clean up my hair. 
LizardBear- I won't waste any more of your time. Bye Pegs <3
PegsLeg- Bye Liza <3 

I sigh and place down my phone. I close the bathroom door and get all of my hair wet and then brushing through it. I pull it up in a very high ponytail and tie a yellow ribbon around it and letting a lot of the ribbon drape down the ponytail. 

Being satisfied with my work I walk back downstairs to see My mom swirling whipped cream in a steaming cup. 

I walk up beside her. 

"How do I look?" 
"Uptight."  

I sigh. 

I can't win. I can't find a balance. 

"Oh. Dad said to fix my hair." 
"Your hair looked fine before hon." 
"But Dad said it didnt." 

There is no response but a warm apologetic smile which I can't help but return one of my signature bright smiles. 

She hugs me once again. Once she leans back she pinches my cheek. 

"There's my girly." 
She hands me the cup and tells me to relax.

"I have to set up decorations Mommy." 
"Right! That's what all those bags were for!" 
"Yup." I pop the P.