Chapter Twenty-Two

Zara

"Is she okay?" Zara waited at the edge of the stairs until Maia walked down. They moved toward the living room, standing next to the fireplace. Seeing Kaliska in grief hurt Zara, wanting to keep her safe.

It was a responsibility to turn a werewolf. It was always the Alpha's responsibility to do so. Accidents happened, but when making a rational decision to turn one, it was forbidden to do so without the Alpha's permission. She lid her hands into her pocket. "She will fine."She faced Zara, ready to explain the circumstances. "I made a thought out decision..."

Zara waved her hand. She didn't need Maia justifying her decision to turn Kaliska's friend. "You are much older and wiser than me. I will never question your decisions."

Hearing that, meant a lot to Maia. She smiled. "I did not smell dark Fae magic. Kaliska was too distracted to scent who it was and I never let Miles walk in."

"What are you saying?" Zara watched to make sure the pack walking by was not able to hear. "Who was it?" she whispered.

Holding back a snarl, Maia muttered. "Mac."

Straightening her posture, Zara eyes went wild. Her Alpha wolf flaring through. She growled, teeth grinding. She loathed Mac and had yet the pleasure of seeing him again. He'd turned her brother against her, forcing Zara to kill him to protect her unborn child. He'd turned the pack upside down. He needed to die. "He will die for going after my daughter."

"We should have executed him," Maia snarled.

Zara snarled, flicking her hand out as if dismissal to the thought. "You kept him breathing for Miles benefit. I will not blame you for not killing him."

"We need to inform the pack. Miles and Kaliska separately."

"Separately?" Zara repeated, concerned.

Maia nodded. "Kaliska and Miles started off bonding before she was even introduced to us. She respects him, despite his childish behaviors. But, how Miles will respond to the accusation of it being his father who did this, could incite Kaliska's hybrid. She won't like hearing him defend his father. And her hybrid doesn't care for Miles as much as her humane side does."

Trusting Maia's judgement, Zara nodded. "Fine. We tell Miles first. I'll tell him."

Maia could hear her mates voice and knew her human friend was awake. "I should go up."

*

Kaliska

Hearing footsteps in the room, Kaliska knew Mila was awake. Walking inside, Kaliska stopped short of the door, leaving it open. She didn't want Mila feeling trapped.

"What the hell Kaliska? How did I get hear? What...happened at-" she was lost to what happened and what she saw.

Kaliska opened her mouth only to close it back. She'd never had to tell anyone about this world. Sharing it with her brother, didn't bring any tension or stress. She just knew he would accept. Far as her parents, she was too angry and let it out, learning not care. But, this was her best friend. And she'd been keeping a big secret and it wasn't like they ever discussed anything out of the norm. "What you saw-" She cleared her throat.

Stepping into the room, Maia smiled friendly toward Mila. Eyes widening, Mila took a step back. "Hey." She looked to Kaliska and then back to Mila. She opened the door wider, making Mila feel less trapped. She stepped to the side, giving full access for her to leave. Kaliska did the same. "This is scary for you."