Chapter 4

I wake up from the glare coming through the window. I rub my eyes, and stumble out of bed to the bathroom to take a hot shower, then prepare for the day. I head down to breakfast with Ginny once we're all dressed. We take our normal seats at the Gryffindor table. I start drinking a cup of orange juice when it's practically thrown out of my hand. "What the-"

"Hermione!" Ginny whisper-yells. "It's him!"

"Who??"

"Him!"

I look to the high table, and sure enough, there's Ginny's fantasy, bow tie and all.

"Ginny, c'mon. You're dating Harry. You need to stop checking out other guys. And this is totally inappropriate, as well...a teacher/student thing? No way, Ginny."

"Oh, Mione. It's our last year. Let loose." She winks and I laugh.

***

Later on we go to Astronomy as usual (after all the other classes), Ginny practically dragging me behind her. She pulls me into the front row and I roll my eyes as she starts to stare seductively at Mr. Smith.

He gets up from his chair and stands, straightening his bow tie, then examines his wand. It's the first time I've actually seen it: it appears to be made of metal, with a green bit at the top. He puts it in his jacket, then claps his hands together. "Good evening!"

***

I leave Astronomy and head down the corridor. I hear a weird - sort of hissing - noise coming from one of the empty class rooms. I step in slowing.

"Is someone in here?" I ask to the dark room. Someone steps out of a shadow.

"Oh my god..." I gasp. It isn't even a person. It's a creature, but it's dressed in a suit. Its head looks like a skull, though there is still skin, paper thin. "What are you??"

It just cocks its head and starts walking closer. I gasp and walk backward out of the room, suddenly bumping into someone.

"Oi!"

I turn around and become face-to-face with Mr. Smith, and I feel like something was lifted off my shoulders. Not that Mr. Smith made me that ecstatic.

"Are you alright, Miss Granger?" he says.

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

"It's just..." He looks over my shoulder. "Never mind. You should go to bed. Goodnight, Miss Granger." He walks past me and turns down the next corridor. What a strange teacher...

A/N: yes I know it's too short, but this introduces the monster(s) of the story. I'm thinking more than one monster?