Chapter 2

I woke up to her sprawled out in bed  taking most of the room, and duvet. I was still tired as I stayed up most of the night listening to her sleep talk about monsters, and other worlds. At one point she put her arm around me in her sleep, trapping me in the most uncomfortable position.
She finally awoke, rubbing her eyes and yawning.
"How was your sleep?" I asked
"I didn't get much sleep with you snoring!" She laughed.
"Hey! You were the one taking up all the bed!" She stuck her tongue out to me and started to put on her clothes. This time I made sure my eyes were fixed to the ceiling. I wondered where we would go today, before quickly getting dressed.

After saying goodbye to our hosts we left. The streets were frosty, laying on the street like layers of dust in an old abandoned house. The men walking around were stiff, as if they were ironed to precision. They reminded me of an old headmaster of mine. I never liked him much. He was older, and his forever sweaty forehead would shower me with every movement, like being a top lip under a runny nose. It was surprising he never got poisoned with the venom that spewed from his mouth. I'm surprised I was never poisoned from the venom in my veins when I saw him. We both shared in our mutual dislike, a common ground that we were both comfortable in knowing. These men, at least, had the excuse that they were 'born in a different time.' He on the other hand was just a bigot.
"So where does Yasmin Khan want to go today?" She beamed at me, her smile almost melting the frost around us.
"Where do you recommend?"
"I'll have a think for the perfect place. Meanwhile let's get breakfast. I think there is a bakery around here somewhere."
"Are we taking the scenic route again?"
"If you're not careful I'll leave you here." She nudged me, smirking.
We arrived at the second bakery after being thrown out of the first one. People kept looking at me, to which the Doctor asked "Why are you staring at my wife?" Granted, it did stop me getting looked at, but we were left without any food. I still felt embarrassed as we made our way to another shop.
"Why did you say that, in there?" I asked. Usually I would have just ignored it and let it go. I've been called all sorts on the job.
"It's not right." Was all the answer I got.
Arriving at the second bakery, I told
her to go in. Vastra has given her some coins which I couldn't remember the name of, in exchange for the Doctor doing a few upgrades on her house. I wondered when she did this, but with a time traveller it's not a very useful question.
As I stood outside, I could appreciate the time I was in without being distracted. Being with her was like trying to see a crowd with a spotlight in your eyes. She was blinding, and beautiful, but so were these places. It was much quieter around this area, instead of hammers I could hear the clip of hooves. Next to me there was a boy, no older than 11 selling newspapers. I hadn't been listening to what he was shouting, I was more amused by how stereotypical it was of this era. I walked up to him just as he said it. The words that made my heart drop, but flutter in excitement.
"Jack the Ripper claims 5th victim, woman brutally hacked to death." Just as I felt my jaw drop, she turned up with a brown bag of hot buns.
"Doctor read the paper" her forehead scrunched as it always did when she was thinking. She handed me the bag silently, making her hands free for picking up the paper she was reading and throwing the child a coin.
"November 9th 1888"
"What does that mean?"
"It means, Yaz we are in the eye of the storm. We are in London in the height of the Ripper murders." She started to run, and so did I. It was an occurrence with her that when she ran, she ran towards danger and I couldn't help but follow.

We arrived at Vastras house again, her knock more frantic. Jenny opened the door.
"Ello ma'aam, I didn't expect you back so soon." As we entered Vastra made an entrance worthy of a queen. Slowly gliding down the staircase, the morning light blanketing her.
"Why didn't you tell us we had landed in the Ripper murders? This is one of the greatest mysteries ever!" I saw a strange smirk on the tip of her lips.
"My apologies, Doctor, but you have been here many times and have not shown an interest." She spoke with a tone of questioning warmth.
"Didn't I? Well I guess this new gem is more curious than others. I've always wanted to know who Jack the Ripper really was. Never got around to it. What do you say Yaz?"
"Fine by me!"
Vastra walked closer to us.
"You cannot stop him, or reveal him. You know how delicate time lines are, and this is the most famous case on Earth."
Usually she would come back with some silly excuse or quip, but this time she looked down, not saying a word.
"You cannot go near this one, Doctor."
"Well we could have a look around. Come on Yaz we have work to do."