Chapter 2

What the hell? thought Hazel. She didn't feel dead, didn't feel pain, just... stiff. She opened her eyes, but all she saw was green and some smudges of black. Squinting, she tried to rub her eyes but found that she couldn't move her arms. Or feel them, for that matter. What is happening? Her thoughts seemed to resonate within herself, echoing. Maybe someone could hear her if she yelled.
She opened her mouth and screamed, "HELP. SOMEONE, PLEASE HELP ME!" But she didn't hear anything. She suspected that no one did. She inhaled and exhaled rapidly, beginning to panic. Hazel felt like she was going to cry, but no tears came.
Her breathing slowed as she assessed her situation. There was no one around, and her skin didn't feel like skin at all. In fact, it was quite scratchy. She attempted to look at it, but she couldn't move her head either. She couldn't move any part of her body, and now that she was thinking of her body, her shin felt like someone sliced it open, but it didn't feel like it was bleeding. Her shin didn't feel like skin either. Nothing did.
Now that her mind was partially cleared (but still confused), her vision started to clear. She was surrounded by grass that appeared to have... scorch marks? Hazel couldn't see very far past that because her eyes were mostly shrouded by leaves. Since she couldn't move her arms, she tried to blow the leaves out of her face, but to no avail.
Hazel tried sagging down but she couldn't move. Silent tears fell from her face. All I wanted was to die. Is that too much to ask for? She thought. Now, I'm just frozen in some carbonite or something.