Deciding

Charli POV 

Every night that week, I met up with Maddox. And every night I told myself it would be the last night. But every night, he said something like "Just one more time?" and, well can you blame me if I couldn't say no to those dark, dreamy eyes? 

And finally, I said the worst thing possible: "I can't imagine leaving and never seeing you again." 

"Then you'll never have to," he said. 

I shook my head and forced a smile. "I do have to. My parents don't even know I'm here." 

He leaned in close, dark eyes on mine. "And you care more about what your parents think that you care about me?"

I blushed and looked down. "I—I hope so," I said. 

"Oh," said Maddox, letting go of my hand. "Is that true? Oh, well. I thought you were different from all those other girls. I thought you were going to be the one who would wanna stick my by side while I went through shit to get to LA, the one who would support me backstage. But I guess I was wrong." 

"Maddox—" I started.

"No," he said, and I saw hurt flash through his eyes. "I guess you never cared about me. Well, that's fine. I'll just—I'll just leave now." 

"No, Maddox!" I grabbed his arm as he turned away. "It's not that—it's just, it's just, what would my parents think?" I could feel tears welling up in my arms, was he really making me choose between him and my parents? "They'd be so upset if I—if I—" I couldn't even say the words run away with you. "I would, but my parents would be heartbroken, I'm their only child!" 

"Charli," said Maddox, his voice loud over my crying. "Calm down! Look, I'm not saying your parents wouldn't be upset if you left, of course they would be, but it's not the end of the world, all right? They'd be mad at first, but it's your life. This is your life. You can't live it for your parents." 

I sniffled, trying to wipe away my tears. Blake and Larie, who were walking nearby, came over and demanded to know what was going on. When Maddox explained, Larie said, 

"C'mon, Charli! Come with us! Can you imagine, LA?" Her eyes sparkled as she tucked her long hair behind her ear. "We're never going to have another chance to have an adventure like this!"

I choked back more tears. "Wait, you're going, too?" 

Larie nodded, leaning on Blake's arm. I watched them—they looked happy. Me and Maddox—me and Maddox could be that happy, too. He loved me. That took my breath away—he wanted me to be the one who came with him while he played his music for millions of people. He wanted me to leave all of this safety and familiarity and, I'll admit it, boringness, to go on an adventure with him. 

Like a honeymoon, or something. 

I swallowed. "Okay," I said, not even believing the words coming out of my mouth. "I'll do it."