Chapter Three: Orientation

“GET UP, YOU SORRY PIECES OF CRAP!” the troop leader shouted as the sun began its ascent into the sky.

    “Yes, sir.” Akira said half asleep.

    “I WANT EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU AT HANGAR Z IN TEN MINUTES!  ON THE DOUBLE!” the leader said with authority.

    “YES, SIR!” the troop said as one voice.

    “Come on, squad.  Let’s get ready.” Rīdā said over the hustle of the other troops.

    “Right.” Akira and the others said as they started to head for the showers.

    After a good shower and a clean shave, the squad arrives at Hangar Z ready for orientation.

    “Now, as you all know we have some new recruits that have joined the fold.  Treat them with respect.” the troop leader said to the more experienced pilots.

    “YES, SIR.” the more seasoned veterans said with sincerity.  

    “Now, if any of you don’t know or have forgotten, there is a code that must be followed.  That code is.

1.  Show your commanding officer and fellow Mavericks respect.

2.  Any and all fraternizing within the troop is not tolerated.  Any fraternizing will result in one of two things.

    - Immediate discharge

    or

    - Court martial

3.  Betrayal of the unit will result in a court martial.  If found guilty, the convicted will be immediately discharged and their memory erased to prevent any secrets to fall into the wrong hands.  After the memory wipe, the convicted will be deposited in an undisclosed location two hundred miles away from Base.

4.  Insubordination will result in immediate dishonorable discharge.

So please understand that if you do anything that violates the code, there will be consequences.” the troop leader said to the entire unit.  “Now, all of you except the new recruits, go and speak with your Base liaison.  There are new requests available.  Recruits, I said you were responsible for choosing your squad name, so let me hear it.”

“Sir, our new squad name is Omega Squad.” Rīdā said to the leader of the unit.

“Alright.  You have yet to be assigned a liaison so I will let you choose.” the leader told the newly formed squad.  “Okay here is some liaisons that are available.” he said as he laid out some files of available liaisons.  “I will give you until 12:00 to tell me your choice.  That gives you only three to four hours to choose so I would get on it if I were you.” the troop leader said to the people of Omega Squad.

“Come on, squad.” Rīdā said to the rest.

    Back at the barracks.

“Alright, we need to choose a liaison.  It’s a good thing they let us choose instead of being assigned someone random.” Rīdā said to the others while they sat on their bunks.  “I’m going to lay out all the files and we are going to look at all of them.” Rīdā said as he laid out the files.

Candidate:                 Arata Yamamotoa

Age:                 21

Time spent at Base:  2 months

Bio:  Former employee of Globotech, he now works at Base in Mission Assignment at Base headquarters in Concordia.  Formerly chief designer at Globotech, he designed the next generation of weapons.  In his spare time, he took online classes at Mars University and graduated with honors at age 30 and went straight into the corps.

Specialty:            Weapons development and Mission Assignments

Candidate:               Kano Yoshida

Age:                40

Time spent at Base:  10 years

Bio:  Graduate of Mars University, Arata graduated at the top of his class in Military Relations and Base Operations, classes only available to the best students.  Born in the coastal town of Pax, he had always wanted to help bring peace to the 'broken world.'  Starting at age 18, he began his path to success through hard work and excellent speaking skills.

Specialty:            Mission Assignments

Candidate:            Michelle Montgomery

Age:                35

Time spent at Base:  14 years

Bio:  Graduate of Harvard, Michelle Montgomery went on to work as a lawyer Akita and Sasaki Law in Concordia, Vita.  After the first attack on Concordia during the Second Great War of 2480, she was laid off due to the lack of finances and soon after, the law firm went under.  She now works at Base in Mission Assignment and is still waiting to be assigned to a squad.

“Ya’ know, all of these sound great, but there is one that sticks out.” Ryou said to Rīdā.

    “Yeah?  Who?” Rīdā inquired as he took his eyes off of Arata’s file.

    “Arata Yamamoto.  He used to work for Globotech developing weapons.  He could be helpful.” Ryou said to Rīdā as he put down Arata’s file.

    “Yeah, and he also may be a spy.  He has been working for Base for two months and hardly anybody knows him well enough.” Rīdā said to Ryou.

    “He has a point.” Katashi agreed.

    After an hour of debate, they finally decided on Arata based on the fact he knows weapons and he may still have contacts inside Globotech and he could get parts for them at a lower price.

Five minutes later.

    “We have chosen, sir.” Rīdā said.       

    “Who?” the leader asked.

    “We have chosen Arata Yamamoto.” Rīdā said.

    “Alright.  Tomorrow, you will be meeting with your knew liaison.  For now, you four are needed.  In the farming territory of Res Rustica, a band of enemy Emulators along with an unknown MWA from an unknown group is sweeping the fields and taking the crop from the area for development.  They would like you to clear out all the enemy units before they take everything.” the leader said to the squad.

    “Yes, sir.” Akira said to their commanding officer.

    “Come on, squad.  Let's go.” Rīdā said as he began to move towards Hangar Z, the hangar their units were being housed in.  Their units were a sight to see.  They were fitted with weapons similar to the weapons they wielded while piloting Emulators.