Chapter Seven: Answers

“Hey, guys.” Arata said as he entered the room.

    “Hey, Arata.” Ryou said.

    “I heard what happened at Rig 580.  Sorry about the loss, guys.” Arata said in a sincere tone.

    “Eh.  At least we were able to save the workers that were on the deck.” Akira said with a slightly optimistic tone.

    “Have any new info for us?” Rīdā asked.

    “Actually, that is why I'm here.  I found some very interesting information.  His name is not Termino, but Hayato Morimoto.  He used to work for Base a long time ago during the early days when it used to be referred to as Vita Imperium.  At the time he was in charge of the predecessor to Missions Assignments, Battlefield Command.  He was head of the department at the time.  He saw everything that happened in the field.  He saw death and destruction.  After ten years of watching the killing, he left Vita Imperium and nobody has seen him since.  Until you four spoke with him, he had gone silent.” Arata said.

    “So, what you're saying is he used to work for Base?” Rīdā asked.

    “Yes.  He also never had his memory wiped.  He left before it was ever enacted.” Arata said.

    “Huh.  Sounds like if he left before the Amnesia Act, he still knows everything about Base.” Akira said.

    “If he knows everything about Base, that means he knows its strengths and its weaknesses.” Rīdā said.

    “What weaknesses?” Katashi asked.

    “Before I ever became a pilot, I found that Base has a weakness.  If you were to cut communications to its neighboring areas, it would be lifeless.  Be cut off from the rest of Vita.” Rīdā said.

    “That must be why they attacked the power plant in Concordia.  They knew if they were to knock out power, they would knock out all communications.  Therefore severing its connection with the rest of Vita.” Arata said.

    “Do you have anything else for us?” Rīdā asked.

    “Not at this moment.  There is still much to learn, but for now, I have another mission for you.” Arata said.

    Mission Codename:    Sound Blast

Location:        Old New York

Requester:        Caelum Industries

Mission Details:    Approximately five kilometers north of Old New York, unusual sounds have been detected throughout the state.  Analysis indicates it has a frequency of one hundred eighty decibels.  Sound that loud has been known to kill due to it's extreme sonic vibrations.  The sound is causing massive number of deaths in the area and is interfering with atmospheric equipment.  Caution is advised.

“Sounds like this one may be a bit tougher than what we are used to.” Ryou said.

    “Not much tougher than when we piloting our Emulators.  Remember when we were participating in a weapons test?  The units were exposed to ultrasonic vibrations to test the structural integrity with us inside and it was a success.  If we were able to stand it back then, we will be able to handle it now.” Rīdā said.

    “Well, can't just sit 'round here and talk.  We've got a mission to fulfill.” Akira said as he rose from his cot.

    “Let's.” Ryou said.