Chapter One: Emergency Entry

“Akira Miyamoto, due to your extraordinary skills at piloting an Emulator, you have been chosen to join an elite group of pilots known as Mavericks.  Your test mission is scheduled for tomorrow at 18:00 in Hangar B.  Failure to arrive will result in your immediate disqualification towards being an MWA pilot.” said the recruiter from Base over the Personal Messenger.  Akira Miyamoto, age 21, has been waiting to be accepted into the Mavericks ever since he joined the corps when he was 18.  When he was piloting an Emulator, a two story mech that mimics human motion from inside, he was one of the best.  He held the title of Top Notch Pilot for six months straight.

            “Archive message.” Akira said to the P.M.  His P.M. was something not too impressive.  It was a 24” monitor with a speaker built into the side.  He built it himself out of spare computer parts and an old monitor he scrounged up in his attic.

            “Message archived.” the P.M. replied.

            “I had better let my folks know.” Akira thought out loud.  “Open comm link to Sector 13.  Parents.”

            “Opening communications link.  Link established.  Hailing Izumi and Daichi Miyamoto.” the P.M. said.

            “Mom? Dad?  Can you hear me?” Akira asked.

            “We hear you, hon.  We're here.  What is it, honey?” Izumi Miyamoto asked with concern.

            “Is Dad there?” Akira inquired.

            “He's here.” Izumi responded.

            “There is something I want to tell you guys.” Akira said to his parents.

            “What is it, my son?” Daichi Miyamoto inquired.

            “I have good news.  I have been accepted into Base.  I'm gonna be a Maverick.” Akira said with excitement.

            “Son, why are you going through with this?  You know we have always been against you joining the Mavericks.  They're a bad bunch.” Akira's father said with sincerity.

            “Dad, I have always been wanting to become a Maverick ever since I joined the Armed Forces.  Now is my chance to show what I can do.  I'm to report to Hangar B at 18:00 hours to begin my test mission.  Don't you guys worry.  I am the best in my squadron.  I will make it.  After I am done with my test, I will call you guys.  I love you.” Akira said with compassion.

            “Akira, be careful.” Akira's mother said to her son.

            “I will.” Akira replied.  Click.  The transmission was terminated.  He loved his parents dearly.  They live in Asylum, one of the last standing cities on the edge of the former state of Virginia.

            “Time to catch some Zs.  Got to be ready for my test tomorrow night.  Set alarm for 12:00 hours.” Akira commanded the equipped bed.

            “Alarm set.” the bed responded.

            “Good night, guys.” Akira said as he fell asleep.

Next day...

            Beep.  Beep.  Beep.  Beep.  Beep went the alarm.

            “Shut up.” Akira said while half asleep.  “Aw crap.  I gotta get up.  Got three hours to be there.  I gotta get to Base.  Computer, bring up recent unwatched messages.” Akira said to the computer.  He wanted to go through any messages that may have been left on the hard drive.  As the P.M. brought up the unwatched messages, he rushed to get ready.  He had to shower, put on his pilot's suit, a pair of gray coveralls with mounts for movement nodules, and to eat breakfast.