X

Calum drives us back to his house so that I can pick up my car. Again.

I'm completely content just watching him drive as I sit in the passenger seat.

"Enjoying the view?" he asks raising an eyebrow at me.

"Maybe. Don't worry, I'll stop." I say, blushing and dropping my eyes from him.

"I don't mind." he says chuckling and I giggle at him.

"Conceded much?" I ask jokingly and he responds by flipping down the sun visor and sliding over the flap covering the mirror to look at himself, one hand on his chin, pushing his face from one side to the other faking arrogance while one hand remains on the steering wheel.

"I like you." I blurt out quietly and I immediately regret it.

If I could just stop the words from coming out of my mouth once in a while I'd be in a hell of a lot less trouble. If there's one thing I'm missing it's a freaking brain-to-mouth filter.

I'm surprised when he says "I like you too." glancing sideways at me as he puts the sun visor back up and puts one of his hands on top of mine that's resting on my thigh. I flip my hand over and interlock my fingers with his.

"I like you a lot." he adds and I reply with "Ditto."

We finally pull into his driveway and I get out of the car before he can open the door for me. By the time I shut the door though he's standing in front of me.

"I really wanna kiss you again. Can I kiss you again?" he asks quietly with his eyes trained on my mouth.

I put my hands on his neck and pull him down to me in response.

He pushes me back against the car as he deepens the kiss.

"Stay the night again." he says breathily, breaking away.

"I can't." I sigh.

"Why not?" he whines, resting his forehead on my shoulder.

I can feel his heavy breaths on my neck and his dark hair tickling my shoulder as I say "Because my parents are gonna be upset enough as it is. They may not give a shit about my well being but they care if I'm gone too long. I found that out the hard way."

He steps back and I stare down at my shoes.

"See you soon, though?" he asks and I swear I can't feel my own pulse because my heart is beating so damn fast.

I nod furiously, locking eyes with his.

"Like, maybe I could give you a ride to school tomorrow?" he says nervously.

"I'd love that." I say, leaning up to peck his lips once more.

We exchange goodbyes as I get into my car and drive home.

...

My mom's passed out across the kitchen table.

Too many Xanax, I guess.  

I just walk past her, she'll wake up when her jaw hurts from resting on the table.

On my way to my room I hear my dad shuffle into the hall from the living room, blocking my path to my bedroom and he's obviously drunk.

He starts ranting in a slurred voice about how I'm never home to watch over my mom, what a whore I am,  what a low-life I'm gonna be when he kicks me out, and how this is all my fault, and finally he starts asking me why I'm home so late.

I roll my eyes, sigh, and try to get past him but he throws his weight around and blocks me.

Then he's in my face screaming at me and I'm just staring at him, numb to what he's saying.