XXXI

Calum's POV:

Mum's taken up gardening which means I've been tasked with moving dirt from one part of the backyard to the other. Because apparently my mum thinks that I enjoy moving dirt in my spare time. Surprise, surprise - I don't. But I love my mum and my mum has a newfound love for gardening, therefore I move dirt in my spare time during the weeks following dinner at Ashton's house.

Jackie's been really busy lately so I haven't seen her as much as I'd like to.

I miss her.

As I'm scraping the dirt from underneath my nails on Thursday night I decide to text her.

Something's wrong, she found something out. I knew she would eventually, I was just hoping it wouldn't be this soon. I was hoping she'd get to know me as I am now and not judge me for all of the fucked up things I've done in the past.

"What's wrong, m'love?" my mum asks as she sits next to me on the couch.

"Jackie." I answer vaguely and rise, stalking off to my room.

I don't sleep at all that night. Instead I try to psych myself up for losing her, for watching her walk away, watching her get pushed away by my stupidity.

When morning comes my mum and dad are running about the house like madmen trying to put decorations here and there. By the end of the day the house is littered with Jack-O-Lantern cardboard cutouts and this annoying fake spiderweb stuff that seems to cling to everything, complete with its very own fake plastic spiders that I constantly mistake for real ones.

After numbly watching my parents spread out snacks and drinks I retreat to my room once again but my mum comes knocking on the door almost immediately.

"What?" I snap from inside.

"Have you got your costume on?" she nags.

"No."

I really don't want to wear a stupid costume right now.

"Well hurry up, people are gonna be here soon." she calls and I hear her footsteps retreating.

I roll off the bed and drag my feet to the closet, pulling out my old Captain America costume. My mum chose this costume. 'Well, it is an American holiday, it's only fitting that you dress as an American superhero." she told me at the register of the costume shop a few years back.

I'm normally fine with costumes, normally think they add to the fun. But not today, today I just want to talk to Jackie. Or hide from her along with the rest of the world, I'm not sure which.

I put on the costume and go to plop dramatically on the couch.

"Cheer up, boy." my dad says, slapping the back of my head jokingly.

"Oh, leave me alone." I scoff at him and see my mum's eyebrows raise.

Before she can say anything the doorbell rings and I hop up to answer it so as to dodge the inevitable scolding that was sure to ensue after that smartarse comeback of mine.

Michael and Luke are there and I breathe out a sigh of relief. Michael's dressed as Spider-Man, his face obstructed by a nylon mask. Luke's Batman, only the lower half of his face is exposed due to his disguise.

"Nice costumes." I comment with a chuckle, "C'mon."

We go out to the backyard and they immediately notice my anxiety.

"What's going on, mate?" Luke croaks in a horrible Christian Bale impression.

"It's Jackie again, yeah?" Michael predicts and I just nod in response.