Chapter 3: Shooting Stars

Oops I posted this on AO3 but I forgot to post it here LMAO.

Here it is, like 2 weeks late B)

---

Whirring and beeping.

That was all that Akira could hear as he stood outside the healing pod Leandro was in. It had been three days since they defeated Sendak, and taken back Arus from the Galran rule. The Arusians that lived nearby thanked them profusely for saving their land.

Yet, when Leandro brought up the Blade of Marmora, their warm attitude instantly disappeared, sending snarky comments about Galrans with passive aggressive remarks. They were still skeptical about the Blades, which was totally understandable.

Despite Akira explaining that they were on the same side, telling them about how they basically put the entire plan in motion, the Arusians continued to be slightly hostile towards the Blade members. Nonetheless, they completed their mission without too much harm.

As soon as they returned to the Blade of Marmora headquarters, Leandro was placed into a healing pod. The stupid goddamn healing pod that had been holding him for three fucking days now. Akira's injuries weren't so bad; a couple of bandages wrapped around his cuts did the job. Leandro's, however were s different story.

When the Blades found them, Leandro was in such a bad condition that he was basically dead. There were cuts littered all over his body. Blood was everywhere, especially where a large wound was found in the stomach and lower back. His legs were bent at an awkward angle, most likely broken. He was so pale and cold with the colour of red blood to contrast his skin. The only thing that confirmed he was alive was his pulse, barely beating.

Akira glowered as he thought about it.

For the duration that Leandro spent in the pod, Akira hadn't moved an inch. He sat there, his body planted next to the machine. He refused to move, whether it was for food, or sleep.

Akira vaguely remembered Thace coming in and forcing him to eat his daily portions. Making sure he didn't starve to death wasn't his only issue though- Akira was also sleep deprived. Not that he didn't want to sleep, but every time he closed his eyes, all he could see was Leandro lying on the ground surrounded in his own blood, and Sendak's wicked grin.

Eventually, Akira gave up on resting. Instead, he kept an eye on Leandro, looking for any movement or changes in his condition. It was nerve wracking. Akira hadn't been able to push away his thoughts since then.

They won, it didn't feel like a victory.

If only I had gotten there sooner...

Sparing glances at the pod every once in a while, Akira felt the exhaustion creeping up on him. He could feel his eyelids get heavier, and heavier. He knew that the darkness would consume him, filling his head with twisted thoughts. He sat down, his back propped against the cold metal.

As soon as his eyes closed shut, Sendak's grin flashed into his mind for a split second before fading away. He could almost hear his laughter echoing in the room.

Suddenly, the doors of the pod swooshed open. Akira's eyes snapped open and Leandro stumbled out. Akira staggered onto his feet as the chilling air escaped the pod. The boy ran forward and caught the Cuban in his arms as they sank to the ground.

"Mmm... 'Kira?" he heard him mumble as he cracked his eye open. Akira felt the tears well up as he clutched onto Leandro's bodysuit, holding him as if he would disappear. All previous thoughts that swarmed his head disappeared.

"You're okay... you-"

He nuzzled his face into Leandro's shoulder. He could feel arms slide around his waist and rested on the small of his back. The tears were threatening to spill as a rush of relief flooded his senses. God, it felt so right to be back in his arms.