Chapter 19

⚜⚜⚜

Nathaniel

⚜⚜⚜

I find completely hypnotizing the way her brows furrow when she's deep in concentration, reading. Her cherry lips slightly parted, the occasional head nod, her eyes squinted when she's processing certain part of information that she finds troubling. But what I like the most is when she smiles without even noticing it.

"Stop looking at me like that."

"Like what?"

"Like if you had seen me naked." Alexia puts down her copy of Jane Eyre, frowning at me from the other side of the table. We've been sitting at the Mansueto Library for the last thirty minutes, and contrary to my initial intentions to grade papers, all I've been doing is staring at her. Like a creep.

"Well, I haven't, so I might be a very good actor." I finally drop the red ink pen that I've been holding for façade purposes.

"Very funny."

She starts collecting her books before getting up, but I notice the slight blush illuminating her cheeks. We both have been busy the past week and haven't had the chance to spend time together, at least not as much as I would want to. I gather my diverse folders as well, put them into my briefcase, and follow her as we make our way outside the library. 

She has class in 10 minutes, and I have office hours.

"We are still on for tonight, right?"

"I'd gladly go to bed at 8PM, but I need my dose of Nathaniel Rowlins to get me through the week." Her voice is low, but her eyes glint with mischief. 

"Wow, I'm flattered. Alexia Saunders is choosing a boy over her bed."

"Don't tempt me, Professor." I can't help chuckling when I see her rolling her eyes.

You see, a few days ago she didn't come to my class because she slept in. Later that afternoon, I called her to see if everything was alright. She asked me if I could fill her in about that day's lecture, and right when I was getting to —in my opinion— the most interesting part of the aesthetic movement, I realized that she had fallen asleep.

"You're like a bear." I tease her. 

"The average person sleeps 8 hours. I sleep 7."

"Or a koala."

"A good sleep cycle improves your memory, prevents heart diseases, sharpen your attention and creativity, and" she pauses for impact purposes, pointing a finger towards my chest "boosts your mood."

"It's endearing how concerned you're about this." Funny, actually. "But sleeping next to me will do more than just boost your mood." I whisper, leaning towards her so only she can hear. 

"I will...omit that last part."

"I'm just looking out for your health."

"You're impossible."

"You're beautiful."

"You do realize we're in the middle of campus, right?" she adds, not before rolling her eyes once more. 

Before I get the chance to reply, Alex stops in her tracks, staying behind. I take a few steps back, wondering what got her attention.

"Shoot." I hear her murmur under her breath.

"What is it?"

"Alexia? Alexia Saunders?" A tall, old man dressed in a black suit asks as he approaches us.