Chapter 30- Part I

A cold breeze makes a shiver run down my spine as I take the front steps of the English Department on Monday morning. I tuck my hands inside the pockets of my 'Dead Poets Society' sweatshirt in an attempt to keep myself warm.

When I finally make it to my destination, Nathaniel's office, I spot a bunch of students trying to get a peek at the board next to his door.

I wait until the area is a bit clearer and try to locate my name on the list. The flow of C- and D+ tells me what that red-eyed, dismayed looking people coming out of his office is about. I first check Abigail's, which has got a B+, before finding my name. Saunders, A+.

I'm internally jumping up and down when someone speaks behind me. "What else could you expect?" The sarcasm drips off her voice. I recognize her as Rachel from third row. Churlish, annoying Rachel.

"Excuse me?" I look over my shoulder, not really in the mood to get into any kind of confrontation.

"It's not a surprise you're the only one getting that grade, given..."

"Given what?" Now I turn around, my expression defying and my arms folded over my chest.

"Let's just say, we all know who is getting special treatment here." She gives me a last pesky look before flipping her long raven hair over shoulder and walking inside Nathaniel's office.

Her words leave me dumbfounded and I'm unable to move a single limb or make any coherent thought. Could she really know...?

Apprehensiveness starts taking over me as I hastily take a look at my surroundings to see if anyone else caught on what she said. I knew that this was going to happen –someone was bound to find out before the semester was over and then we would be completely, utterly screwed.

I coerce my legs to move from their spot and walk inside Nathaniel's office. I stand by the door, leaning against the frame. Nathaniel is looking down at his desk, fidgeting with a pen, while Rachel is sat in front of him pulling off a most sultry look.

What if she's telling him that she knows?

I think I'm feeling sick.

My throat is dry, my back is sweating, and there's a distant buzzing in my ears.

I take a small step inside, in hopes to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"That grade is what you accomplished. You've been slacking off lately, Rachel, and I've told you so."

"I'm just saying, professor, I think I have a lot more to offer." Nathaniel is yet to look up, and he coincidently does so when she leans over the desk, a little too close for my liking. "Don't you think?"

His eyes catch mine, and there's a hint of disquiet on his expression that I'm not able to place. "Alexia, you can wait on the benches outside."

"I'll wait here, thanks." If this girl is going to try and make a move on my boyfriend, I'd like to be here, thank you very much. I'm also curious if whether she'll tell him anything about me.

"If that's so, let it show on your final." Nathaniel gives Rachel a stern look before standing up from his chair, prompting her to follow him to the door. He walks all the way to the hall, emitting an audible sigh as he looks at the students that he has yet to attend.

"Listen, people, you chose your grade, I didn't. If it doesn't add up to your expectations, I'd recommend you go home and study instead of crying over my desk." If looks could kill. There's a rustle sound as everyone hurries away from Nathaniel's menacing voice.