Confessions (11)

A knock came at Lily's door, startling her from her thoughts. She had no idea what time it was. After asking Carlisle how he was going to save her, Carlisle had just stared. It seemed that he was having trouble believing what he had just said, or done. Lily had rolled her eyes in a mixture of anger and annoyance before pushing past him and going to her room- which was actually his room- and fought her instinct to slam the door behind her. The curtains were closed, as well as the blinds, and she had quickly flipped on the lamp before sitting in bed with a sigh. Things still weren't adding up in her mind and now she held even more questions than before. The shock and surprise at how quickly Carlisle was able to move, and how he hadn't seemed winded in the slightest, puzzled her mind. She had no answers or even ideas on how everything added up. Now, being brought out of her thoughts, the woman sat up and leaned back against the pillows. Her voice was soft, but she had no doubt that whoever was on the other side would hear her. "Come in."

Rosalie peeked her head in before coming all the way into the room and closing the door silently behind her. "Carlisle told me everything."

"I'm not surprised," Lily muttered in annoyance. It hadn't been his story to tell, and Carlisle was very good at not sharing what wasn't his, but somehow she knew he would tell Rosalie.

"He only did it because of my own story," Rosalie said. She crossed the room and sat on the foot of the bed, bending a knee and pulling her foot up. Her toes barely touched the thigh of her other leg. Lily looked up and saw a sadness in Rosalie's eyes.

"You gonna tell me the whole truth?" Lily asked quietly.

"You think you can handle the whole truth?" Rosalie asked, true curiosity in her voice. She knew Lily hadn't been talking about her story.

Lily shrugged with a sigh, shaking her head slightly. "I don't know what I can handle anymore, Rose. Carlisle, he... It was like I blinked and he was in front of me. How is that possible?"

"It's not," Rosalie answered, looking down at her hands grasping her ankle. It was the first time Lily had seen her without heels, and somehow her bare feet were just as beautiful as the rest of her. "But I know you weren't imagining it."

Lily ran a hand through her hair again, tugging at the roots. Her voice was low, and she was talking mostly to herself. "None of this makes sense. The speed... The eyes... cold skin... Nobody can live with a body temperature that low... But then again, none of the boys should be living with the temperatures they have either... I'm imagining it. That's exactly it. The cancer is fogging up my brain and messing with my senses... I'm crazy. That's all it is. Maybe this isn't even real. I'm in some kind of medical coma because of the cancer, and this is all just some crazy coma-induced dream..."

Rosalie reached over and placed a cold hand on Lily's knee. She waited patiently until Lily looked up, her fingers still resting on her bottom lip with her opposite hand in her hair. Rosalie's voice was gentle as if talking to a child. "Vera, this is real. It's all real."

"No, no, no," Lily shook her head, her heartbeat escalating and her mind turning with half-thoughts. "It doesn't make sense."

"It will," Rosalie promised with wide, kind eyes. She was doing her best to look as innocent and human as she possibly could.

Lily continued shaking her head, muttering to herself. She wasn't in control of herself anymore, pulling harshly at the roots of her hair.

"Lily," Rosalie said. "Lily, stop. Stop. Vera!"

Lily froze. Rosalie had a hand on each of her wrists, though it wasn't rough or painful. At the sad look in Rosalie's eyes, Lily burst into tears and unstoppable sobs. Leah barged into the room, her arms shaking. She took in the scene with an angry expression. "What did you do?"