Date Night (15)

"Hold still!" Alice commanded. "I'm almost done."

Lily let out a sigh. Rosalie and Emmett had made the decision to travel to Brazil for a week or so, and Lily was left with Alice to help prepare her for the date she had with Carlisle. "I'm sorry. I didn't sleep well and I'm worn out."

Alice sighed. "He should've given you some time to rest."

"Alice, I agreed to this," Lily defended. "I want to spend time with him before things get too bad."

Alice said nothing. Lily could hear Embry playing the Ukelele downstairs, singing with Elsie about a volcano. It was Elsie's favorite song, and she had been thrilled to learn that Embry knew how to play it on the small instrument. Lily could practically picture her daughter dancing around and trying to get Claire to join her. The two small girls had become close friends, and Elsie had even requested to be homeschooled to spend more time with the older girl. Embry and Quil had promised that schoolwork would come first, and Elsie was intelligent enough to join Claire at her level despite the age difference. Lily was slowly growing on the idea of becoming a vampire and thought that homeschool would be best for Elsie whenever that happened. The woman didn't want to think too much about the future and what it meant for her and her daughter.

Lily blinked and looked at Alice through the mirror with wide eyes. Her voice was a whisper. "Alice."

Alice secured the last pin in Lily's hair before moving in front of her. She tilted her head to the side. "What is it?"

"I- I think I just saw something..." Lily murmured, mostly to herself.

Alice furrowed her brow. "What do you mean?"

Lily's voice didn't rise above a whisper. "I saw myself... only, I was different. I-I think I was like you. My skin was paler than usual, almost glowing, and my eyes were gold. Carlisle had his arm around me. We were sitting outside in white wooden chairs. I was wearing a baby blue dress and he was in a suit with a matching bowtie... Elsie and Embry were standing in front of us, facing each other. She was in the most beautiful white gown."

Alice smiled softly. "I think you had a vision. I'm a bit jealous. I can't see the wolves or Nessie. It's because I haven't been a wolf or half human like Nessie is."

Lily blinked, looking at the small woman. "A vision? How? Nothing like that has ever happened before."

Alice shrugged and turned around to lay out Lily's outfit on her bed. "How do I have visions? How can Jasper manipulate feelings? How does Edward read minds?"

"Wait, wait, wait," Lily said and stood. Her eyes were a bit wide. "Edward can read minds?"

Alice giggled. "Yes. But he doesn't share what he hears, and he's gotten quite good at tuning it out when he wants to."

Lily couldn't help but blush at some of the thoughts she'd had during her stay with the vampires. "That's embarrassing."

"Edward's good," Alice insisted. "He wouldn't tell anyone your thoughts unless he felt he had to. If you were to hurt yourself, for example."

Lily allowed the smaller woman to help her dress for her date with Carlisle. "You said Jasper can manipulate feelings?"

"He's an empath," Alice explained. "He can feel what those around him are feeling, and in turn control the emotional environment around him. Those days where you feel a strange calm that seems to come from elsewhere? That's Jasper."

"Does anyone else have any gifts?" Lily asked in curiosity.

Alice buttoned the single button behind Lily's neck. "Bella is a shield. Edward can't read her thoughts unless she lets him. She can also project it to others. Any kind of power that works through the mind is blocked."